Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a 2015 AWD XLE with about 18k miles. My last car (2000 Ford Taurus, 191k) just died and drove most other vehicles that are comparable to the RAV4.

How can I tell when the AWD kicks in/puts power to the rear wheels? Living in northern Iowa now we are seeing snow and am curious about it. Will the traction control light come on only or what lights would I see to know that it's active?

I have locked it into AWD for around town just to try it but not sure what it would be like at 45 or 60 mph.

Thanks in advance for any help and sorry if this has been answered already!

·
Registered
324 Posts
The system is always on. No need to lock the differential unless you are stuck and need extra traction. AWD engages so well in snow or ice that you won't even notice it working.

·
Registered
428 Posts
On my 2016 that AWD lock kicks off at 25 MPH. In normal mode I can toggle the center screen between the gauges up 2 screens (past the MPG screens) and it shows a graph of where the power is going up to 4 bars. Cruising on the highway it goes to front wheel drive until you give it gas then it puts 25% to rear wheels / 75% front best I can tell.

·
Registered
342 Posts
I have locked it into AWD for around town just to try it but not sure what it would be like at 45 or 60 mph.
You are doing something wrong if you think you need a locked center differential, or AWD at all, at 45 or 60 mph.

·
Registered
67 Posts
The AWD is automatic and if it's not working you will have lights that come on warning you that it isn't. Don't lock the AWD unless you absolutely need it because if you use it on dry pavement, it could bind the AWD components and potentially damage the system.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No I don't need the locked differential at higher speeds, I was just not aware that power would shift to the rear wheels with no light indicators on the dash. I had thought that at least one light would come on so you know the car detected slipping/sliding/etc. And you could adjust your speed and driving.

Thanks for the replies, I will check and see if I can see how much power is going to the different wheels!

So far a lot better in the snow and winter driving than the Taurus ever was!

·
Registered
202 Posts
2016+ cluster (SE red face gauges shown)
2016-Toyota-Rav4-SE-instrument-cluster.jpg
2013-15 gauge cluster below
Toyota_RAV4_2014_XLE-ip.jpg

·
Premium Member
7,936 Posts
The MID on the 2013-2015 was just a small LCD, totally different than 2016>

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,716 Posts
I see they got rid of that cheesy LCD temp gauge--that was one of my pet peeves.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts