Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First snow of the season here and realized the AWD system in not kicking in. No lights have every come on or anything. No idea where to even start looking for the issue

·
Premium Member
2,505 Posts
First snow of the season here and realized the AWD system in not kicking in. No lights have every come on or anything. No idea where to even start looking for the issue
Year, model please?

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
I also had a 2008 V6 Limited.

You should be aware that no lights will show up on the dash when the system engages automatically. If you press the "lock" button, a light will come on, until you reach 40KPH, at which time it will automatically disengage.

When the system engages automatically on a snow covered road, I couldn't feel a thing inside the vehicle. You only know its working because you don't get stuck. I occasionally opened my door and looked back at the rear tires while flooring it in order to verify they were really working.

On roads that are snow covered, and all 4 wheels have equal traction, I didn't find any advantage over pressing the lock button compared to letting the system work automatically.

When climbing steep dirt grades, the lock position is a help because it distributes engine torque to all 4 wheels which helps to prevent a front wheel from spinning and the RAV losing forward momentum before the rear wheels engage.

·
Super Moderator
10,191 Posts
Assuming you posted in the correct forum 4.3, as Rickl explained the 4WD system operates transparently. If the 4WD light does comes on it indicates an error and then the system isn't functioning.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's a 2009 sport. I know for a fact it's not engaging. I couldn't even climb a smal upgrade and the front end was spinning and sliding.

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
It's a 2009 sport.
And yet your profile says a 2008 V6 Limited.

I know for a fact it's not engaging. I couldn't even climb a smal upgrade and the front end was spinning and sliding.
Did it climb better when you pressed the lock button? Did the indicator light come on after pressing the lock button. Do you have winter tires installed? Was the slip indicator flashing on the dashboard?

·
Super Moderator
10,191 Posts
And a 4WD error light below the fuel gauge that lights during startup and should be lit if 4WD isn't working.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
And yet your profile says a 2008 V6 Limited.

Did it climb better when you pressed the lock button? Did the indicator light come on after pressing the lock button. Do you have winter tires installed? Was the slip indicator flashing on the dashboard?

Not sure why profile said that but anyways pushing lock button makes no difference, snow tires and yes traction control flashing .

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Maybe it is just a slick driveway. I think if the 4wd system is not working there will be a fault, and alight will come on.

Maybe have someone outside watching from the rear to see if the wheels are spinning.

I was stuck in my neighbors sloped driveway last year in about 2 inches of wet snow. Worn winter tires.

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
You still haven't mentioned if the 4WD light comes on when starting your RAV (the lamp test). You didn't mention if the 4WD indicator comes on when you press the lock button.

I only ever had one problem getting around in my RAV4. The roads had a 2" layer of heavy slush on top of glare ice. Water covered ice is the most slipperiest condition you will find. My RAV would barely move on level ground. Despite having the lock button operated, it seemed that the engine had no power.

The RAV was actually doing what it was supposed to do. When a tire begins to spin, the brakes are applied to the spinning wheel, and engine output is reduced to prevent wheel-spin. Since I was on a very slippery surface, my tires would spin at idle and the brakes were being applied almost constantly. It also appeared the throttle wasn't working because the engine would barely rev up.

The newer RAVs have a button to disable traction control, and this was precisely the conditions that this button would be used.

The 4WD system in my RAV was as good as any other system I have used (except maybe my Jeep Cherokee), despite it's simplicity and light duty applications.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts