Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have about 7k on my '05. Wondering about tire rotation. Is it less critical since the vehicle is AWD? How often does everyone rotate? I don't think the tires are directional so I presume a criss-cross pattern is best? Haven't checked the manual yet...

·
Registered
771 Posts
Should check the manual. It is very important on an AWD or any car with independent suspension to have the criss-crossed pattern used every other rotation if not EVERY one.

One of the most common problems these days is what is referred to as "Scalloping" of the inside of the rear tires. For those not familiar, this is where the inside wears somewhat like a wash-board around the circumference of the tire. This can be corrected ONLY if you rotate in the recommended pattern, at or before the recommended intervals. The more often the better is a good rule of thumb when it comes to your tires.

At a $1000.00 price tag to replace on average you really need to take care of those black round things holding your vehicle up.

Any questions, don't hesitate to ask me. I deal with this stuff all day long.

Later. M.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I rotated mine the first time at 7,500 miles, but the dealer said that was too long to wait and recommended no more than 5,000 miles. At first, I had scalloping problems, but increasing tire pressure and more frequent rotations seems to have fixed it. They just rotated mine front to back, but next time I'm going to cross rotate. The Toyo tire info that came with the RAV states either way is acceptable. I'm going to try the method suggested to cross rotate on every other cycle.

·
Registered
771 Posts
With a Sharpie marker.....its a good idea to mark each one with a number from where they originally came from. Such as: Dr. front 1.....Pass. front 2.....Dr. rear 3.....Pass. rear 4. This way you will be able to keep track of them and ensure you are rotating them equally.

With a full size spare it can be added to the mix also but you have to introduce it early in the rest of the others tires lives or the difference in depth of tread can be come too great and then you have to leave as a spare. Of course this works best if all five are on the same type wheels so in every instance it will not be practical.

Later. M.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Rotating every 5000 is fairly standard for any car now. For AWD you don't want to rotate in the spare though, it messes with the computers. Make them think you have a flat. You can expect to get longer overall life from you tires with the AWD compared to 2 wheel drive though, as the ware is more evenly distributed.

·
Registered
3,066 Posts
Rotating every 5000 is fairly standard for any car now. For AWD you don't want to rotate in the spare though, it messes with the computers. Make them think you have a flat. You can expect to get longer overall life from you tires with the AWD compared to 2 wheel drive though, as the ware is more evenly distributed.
How many Mile meters or fraction of an inch do you think you will get in 5,000 km? :)

Maybe your are thinking of someone putting a new spare on when the old set is warn to about 3/32.

As for rotating on any vehicle, you will probably get a smaller diameter tire with just being off by a few pounds pressure. Which many people are anyhow because they have a cheep piston tire gauge.
Always a good idea to buy a decent digital gauge.

With the proper 5 tire rotation eventually the tires will all even out to be very similar after the complete cycle.

Like M. said mark the tires. Also mark every change on a sheet in your Maintenance file. :thumbs_up:

Cheers,

Walt

E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
:( Listen to the nice folks here. I had my tires rotated front to back and they got really noisy, really quickly! Now at 30K, I'm replacing the OEM's. It seems that, once the scalloping starts, it just gets worse. I thought the Toyos had belt issues but I gues that's not the case.

Bill

1 - 8 of 8 Posts