Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1997 RAV4 125,000 miles;passenger side cv axle is a new rebuilt;have changed the seal twice and it still seeps after awhile. This is on the passenger side. I changed the driver side cv axle but I don't remember if I changed the seal. At any rate, it does not leak. I saw on another post that someone else had the same problem. He had changed it once and then had a tech change it....same result...still leaked.
What is the problem?
Craig

·
Super Moderator
11,107 Posts
Moved to correct area.

·
Premium Member
172 Posts
Several areas to consider: can you get under there and see where the seal is leaking? There is a brass slinger plate in the way and sometimes it is difficult to tell if the leak is coming from where the seal seats on the transaxle housing or where the shaft goes through the seal. (That slinger plate does move on the shaft.......) A "new/rebuilt" axle likely had the universal joints replaced and used the same used shafts. If the shafts were turned even a LITTLE to polish off the wear marks from the previous seal, it may be enough that fluid seeps around the seal/shaft. If you have changed the seal twice it may be the shaft as that is what is left of the two things that could leak. How much of a leak is it? A minor leak may be something to put up with; older cars do that. A major leak may need replacing the shaft......again....and probably the seal....again....while you're in there.....:wall

1 - 3 of 3 Posts