Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
2010 RAV4 2WD with 238k+ miles has a strong vibration when driving at speeds of 65-70 mph. Mechanic says axles need to be replaced and it'll cost $720.

Anyone had this done before? Wondering how easy it is to diagnose and average cost for replacement.

EDITING TO ADD:
This seemed to start about the time I had 4 new tires put on, and the wheels have been balanced a few times since, and rotated once.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Its hard to diagnose that problem online, but I would at least go see another mechanic to get a second opinion.

I was first thinking your wheel balancing was off ,but it may be in your drive line. I don't see how your axles would cause a bad vibration unless they were heavily worn. Are they original? Did you try turning the wheel from side to side going to the stops and listening for any noises?Can you go underneath and see if you can feel any play in the joint?
Good luck....

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Kev, they are the original axles, but I've never had to replace axles before on a vehicle. That said, I have taken a few curbs lately, either not realizing they were there, or just misjudging how far they extended.
There has been a creaking noise when I turn the wheel for well over a year, maybe two, now. One mechanic told me about 16 months ago that I would need new bushings soon, but at least two others have said they look fine since.

I'm not able to get under it myself, but I was under it yesterday when the mechanic was pulling on it, but I couldn't tell much about it.

By the way, I've updated my original post to include that the wheels have been balanced since I realized this would be one of the first things folks might suggest.

I feel a bit at the mercy of the mechanics, and have been searching for an experienced, honest, economical, and convenient one for a while. Seems a challenge to find one who ticks all the marks off. The one I went to yesterday gets good reviews but this is my first experience with them so I don't know.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Hello Mr. Toyo

Wheel balance is usually the culprit to vibrations at speed. Good for you to rule that out.

I agree finding a good trustworthy mechanic is difficult. Asking for a few opinions though is your only avenue for getting a real truthful diagnosis.

Your bushings may make "creaking" noises and probably are worn if original, but probably wouldn't cause vibrations at speed.

If your CV axles are original with 238,000 miles , I would say its time to replace them . They usually fail before that. That may well be your problem. A good mechanic should be able to show you they are worn by grabbing and shaking them ,or take you for a drive and listening for noises by turning the wheel all the way to the left ,then the right all way to the stops. If they click when doing that, they are toast.

Good luck

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you, kevcules46. I will try the wheel turning test to see if I hear the clicks, and will see about getting a second opinion as well. Finding the time to get second opinions is a bit of a challenge and I'm a bit leery of driving it too long if the axles are in fact the issue. Thanks again.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Took my car to the guy who worked on my dad's truck. He said one of the axles was leaking a little but he couldn't guarantee that would fix the vibration. Had him replace the axles ($383) but the vibration is still there. Tires have been rotated and balanced. Wondering what I should check next?

·
Registered
288 Posts
Not sure what else to suggest. What does the mechanic think is causing the vibration? I would be hesitant to pay him, or at least full price, if what he tries doesnt solve your problem.
good luck

1 - 8 of 8 Posts