Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2008 V6 Limited RAV4 128,000 miles

I took the car into the mechanic because of the CEL, VSC,4WD lights came on. It was determined that the codes and diagnostics point to the B1 S1 AFR or Oxygen sensor. The quoted me $510 for diagnostic, part and labor. I said go ahead and get it done. An hour later they call and say they can't get it out and are afraid they will screw up the manifold. It will move a little in each direction but freeze. They tried penetrating oil and no luck. They said if they had to buy a new manifold all said and done the bill would be around $2K. I said to stop and I would research it.

I have found info about this sensor on this forum but no conclusion. Yes they get stuck ect.

What I am looking for is what is the best way to access it? I looked from under and the exhaust pipes were hot and I couldn't reach to feel for it. Can't find any videos on youtube for the rear bank.

I does look like I could just pull the exhaust pipes out of the way and pull the manifold down to work on the sensor. I can see most of the manifold bolts. Is this the approach I should take?

Does anybody have info about this?

John

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
$510 to replace an o2 sensor?...wow is all I can say...I would start calling other shops to see what they say...should be able to heat the manifold and get it out...I have never had an o2 sensor that I couldn't get out...

·
Registered
80 Posts
I've always been able to get them out with heat from a torch. Oxygen/acetylene works very well. Just heat the crap out of the area around the sensor and they come right out.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My mechanic friend who lives 3 hours away from me tells me the same thing which is why I picked up the car. I have read on this forum that this sensor typically has this problem. Have you ever tried to get to the B1S1 on a V6 Rav4? I can't see it from the top and couldn't see it from below. The exhaust was hot when I looked at it but if it is that hard to see not sure how I would get a torch on it. That's why I was thinking of pulling the manifold.

John

·
Registered
80 Posts
My mechanic friend who lives 3 hours away from me tells me the same thing which is why I picked up the car. I have read on this forum that this sensor typically has this problem. Have you ever tried to get to the B1S1 on a V6 Rav4? I can't see it from the top and couldn't see it from below. The exhaust was hot when I looked at it but if it is that hard to see not sure how I would get a torch on it. That's why I was thinking of pulling the manifold.

John
Sorry, I can't help you there, never done one on a RAV4, I was just speaking in general terms. If you can do it without removing the manifold, go that route. Exhaust manifolds can be a pain due to broken studs. That said, if you have to do it, don't sweat it, just use plenty of, time, heat and penetrating oil. A can of keyboard duster, turned upside down, is amazingly good at shock cooling the male parts that are stuck.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts