Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone,

New to the board and I wish I had found this site a long time ago.

We have a Toyota RAV 4 GX Estate, 1995 (N) approx 179K on the clock. Bought secondhand from a dealership (not Toyota) it has had a rattle from the back door since day one.

We have taken it back under the warranty (many times) where it has been supposedly sorted only to come back before getting halfway home. The dealership relplaced the lock and hasp as they said it was about to go anyway; they say they took the door off and re-aligned it; and on the last trip back they left a tin of grease and the paintbrush they applied it with in the boot. Unsure if this was a dig at us for being picky, but when you drive on unclassified back roads and lanes it gets very irritating to say the least.

Does anyone know what is causing it? I have been told by someone that the model has a problem with the door seal being a hard plastic and it should be softer, hence the door rubbing against it when the car flexs on uneven roads. But, the sound is more of metal against metal, which then again, could be the lock rubbing against the hasp.

I also have another problem which I am not sure is just a trait of the model. When I take my off foot off the pedal to slow down the rear end of he vehicle sometimes judders a little making a banging noise from the back, which sounds again like the door rattling.

Well, if anyone can help with any of these problems I would sure be grateful to hear from you. :lol:

Happy RAV-ING!

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Well folks, I have had a good long hard think today whilst in the garden looking at my poor rattling RAV. :cry:

I gave it a good old clean and decided to see if it is the actual door lock rubbing against the hasp. :idea: I remove the grease and wound around a layer of electical tape and took it down the lane to our local shop which is a 6 mile round trip and hey presto, the rattling noise has stopped. :D

All I need to find out now, is whether the door is not aligned properly, despite the dealerships attempts, or if the advice on the door seal is true and the body of the vehicle flexing is causing the lock to rub, and if so, try and locate one. :roll:

Wish me luck!!!

Mikey (Enjoying the peace)

P.S. Whilst enjoying the peace and quiet I noticed that a little rattle was above my head. I pulled over and got out my trusty can of WD40 and oiled the runners and wind deflector of the sunroof and peace once again reigns..... All of a sudden driving the RAV is again almost as enjoyable as the day we got it! :lol:

·
Registered
881 Posts
Mikey said:
Well folks, I have had a good long hard think today whilst in the garden looking at my poor rattling RAV. :cry:

I gave it a good old clean and decided to see if it is the actual door lock rubbing against the hasp. :idea: I remove the grease and wound around a layer of electical tape and took it down the lane to our local shop which is a 6 mile round trip and hey presto, the rattling noise has stopped. :D

All I need to find out now, is whether the door is not aligned properly, despite the dealerships attempts, or if the advice on the door seal is true and the body of the vehicle flexing is causing the lock to rub, and if so, try and locate one. :roll:

Wish me luck!!!

Mikey (Enjoying the peace)

P.S. Whilst enjoying the peace and quiet I noticed that a little rattle was above my head. I pulled over and got out my trusty can of WD40 and oiled the runners and wind deflector of the sunroof and peace once again reigns..... All of a sudden driving the RAV is again almost as enjoyable as the day we got it! :lol:
Below the latch there us a v shaped guide that is lined with rubber, that wears out and the door is forced to use only the latch to keep it from rattling, replacing or repairing the guide fixes the problem. If the door is close and you can move it up and down by lifting up by the handle, then this is your problem. We don't have 1995's here but I assume the door has been th same since the first production run.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hello Tankd0g

Thanks for the advice. I have been out with my torch to have a look at the V shaped guide. I think you are spot on with your diagnosis as there is no rubber at all on either guides be it door or the body itself.

The job looks simle enough to do myself, so I will give Toyota a call in the morning for the part.

Thanks a million for the advice.

Mikey :lol:

·
Registered
881 Posts
Mikey said:
Hello Tankd0g

Thanks for the advice. I have been out with my torch to have a look at the V shaped guide. I think you are spot on with your diagnosis as there is no rubber at all on either guides be it door or the body itself.

The job looks simle enough to do myself, so I will give Toyota a call in the morning for the part.

I'm cheap so I just glued strips of inner tube to mine until I got a snug fit without the door getting stuck shut.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
tankd0g said:
Mikey said:
Hello Tankd0g

I'm cheap so I just glued strips of inner tube to mine until I got a snug fit without the door getting stuck shut.
What a BRILLIANT idea! I will be honest, I never thought of improvising, but I suppose it wouldn't spring to mind as the vehicle has been missing it since we had it and hence I am not sure what I am trying to recreate.

I will see if I can find a picture on the internet or even stop and look at one for sale in a garage, that should give me an idea.

Thanks for the advice again, you are a true assett to this forum!

Mikey

·
Registered
20 Posts
A long time ago, about three years, when I first bought my RAV4 I had the door rattle problem. My solution was to use 303 Aerospace Protectant (I bought it at a boat store) on the back door rubber seal and the sqeaking went away.

I rember someone on this board had the suggestion to turn the lock latch plate in the rear around 180 degrees - and this stopped the rattle. My guess is that this lock plate is slightly bent - and turning it 180 makes it just a little tighter.

It seems I remember everyone had this problem at one time or another.

Good luck,

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
jimc said:
A long time ago, about three years, when I first bought my RAV4 I had the door rattle problem. My solution was to use 303 Aerospace Protectant (I bought it at a boat store) on the back door rubber seal and the sqeaking went away.

I rember someone on this board had the suggestion to turn the lock latch plate in the rear around 180 degrees - and this stopped the rattle. My guess is that this lock plate is slightly bent - and turning it 180 makes it just a little tighter.

It seems I remember everyone had this problem at one time or another.

Good luck,
Hi Jim

Thanks for the post and the advice.

It's an odd one this. As previously stated, mine went back three times and it didn't get sorted.

I will put in the missing rubber below the lock, get some protectant that you specify and turn the latch plate too. My temporary fix of electical tape stopping the metal against metal is one thing, but I have so enjoyed the peace and quiet over the week so far I will go all out to get it sorted once and for all.

Thanks for the advice, it really is much appreciated.

Mikey

·
Registered
302 Posts
Just a simple thing here .
When you open the back door , on the driver side in the upper
right corner , there should be a black rubber bumper .
It's about 1.25 inch thick and stabalizes the door in that corner when closed .

About $4 if needed .

·
Registered
50 Posts
ccaddy said:

About $4 if needed .
I just ordered 2 of those bumpers today for my rear door. In Toyota lingo their called a "cushion"
The part number for the top of the door is 90541-09062 it was $1.90. The bottom cushion is 90541-09043 it was $3.06. Wierd how their different and priced differently too.

·
Registered
881 Posts
michaelp95 said:
ccaddy said:

About $4 if needed .
I just ordered 2 of those bumpers today for my rear door. In Toyota lingo their called a "cushion"
The part number for the top of the door is 90541-09062 it was $1.90. The bottom cushion is 90541-09043 it was $3.06. Wierd how their different and priced differently too.
To give you an idea what crooked bastards run the dealerhip here, those parts are $58 and $62.

·
Registered
50 Posts
tankd0g said:
michaelp95 said:
ccaddy said:

About $4 if needed .
To give you an idea what crooked bastards run the dealerhip here, those parts are $58 and $62.

Would you like a set? When I go Monday to pick them up I can order some more and mail them to you, cant be more than a dollar to ship.

·
Registered
881 Posts
michaelp95 said:
tankd0g said:
michaelp95 said:
ccaddy said:

About $4 if needed .

Would you like a set? When I go Monday to pick them up I can order some more and mail them to you, cant be more than a dollar to ship.
Thanks, I don't need them, I found something that fit around the ship, cost a lot less :)

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I worked on the same project over the weekend on my wife's Rav. I had a moment of brilliance and flipped the latch over as suggested here, but that may not have addressed the problem. I will treat the door seal, and try out some rubber on the support.

I am interested to know if the new cushions make a difference, please post your results MichaelP. I thought about putting a washer between the door and each of these if one would fit.

If I fix this I get to go back to working on my jeep, so please help me out!

Josh

·
Registered
881 Posts
ccaddy said:
Tankdog : I think your talking about two different parts .
The 2 door stoppers are under $5.00 each .
That's exactly what I said to the asshole at the parts counter, he showed me the drawing and that is the parts they want'ed $100 for, two little rubber stoppers. They also wanted $150 for front brake pads and offer 12 year financing on new cars. I obviously don't buy anything there.

·
Registered
50 Posts
wifehelper said:
I worked on the same project over the weekend on my wife's RAV. I had a moment of brilliance and flipped the latch over as suggested here, but that may not have addressed the problem. I will treat the door seal, and try out some rubber on the support.

I am interested to know if the new cushions make a difference, please post your results MichaelP. I thought about putting a washer between the door and each of these if one would fit.

If I fix this I get to go back to working on my jeep, so please help me out!

Josh

I have had them on for two days now and I have heard no more rattles from the rear door!!

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
awesome, I'll order some when I go to the dealership on Monday to pick up another thing I ordered from those bastards. Thank you for the reply.

Josh

·
Registered
3 Posts
noise gone

Thank you to all those who helped me locate what this noise was. It was driving me nuts while driving. Here was my fix. I went down to the hardware store and picked up some 3/16" thick sheet rubber with sticker adhesive on the backside. I cut it into a 3/8"x 2" strip and applied it to the bottom flange of the "V" shaped metal part bolted to the body (not the one on the door). First clean that bracket real good with rubbing alcohol to make sure the adhesive has a good surface to stick to. I loosened both bolts for the body V-bracket and tightened them hand tight. I also did the same for the door V-bracket. Then I closed the door. Closing the door with make both brackets shift to mate with one another. Carefully open the door and then tighten down all the bolts with a socket wrench. Close the door again to check for fitment. No more squeeking noise.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
I had the missing bumper problem, and made them out of rubber feet for electronic equipment that attaches with screws.
I use an expanding rubber plug in the hole in the door, it has a threaded part built in, I had them laying around from the passat plastic shield under the motor, that had a twist lock setup that broke the first time you went to take the shield off to change the oil, so I got a bunch of rubber plugs, tighten the screw and they expand...

Anything that will attach a rubber bumper to the door will work.

Brett

1 - 20 of 26 Posts