Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All! I've just purchased a 2020 Rav4 Sport Hybrid (European version) and I've noticed a lot of dirt coming in through the seals on the back doors and onto the inside of the door and the foot well of the rear seats. This is caused as far as I can see by the fact the wheelarch comes off as part of the door so I'm guessing this is a design issue rather than a fault in the seals. Anyone else experience this and perhaps suggest any solutions??

·
Registered
515 Posts
Yes and no. Same problem here, although no dirt in the footwell itself. But a lot of wind noise comes from there; next week the dealer is going to investigate the possibilities. But yes, a design flaw for sure!

·
Registered
178 Posts
I noticed this guy put a seal on his door which may be what you're referencing (dirt and noise) @ 6:52. I asked to see what he used as I haven't seen a similar shape on Amazon from ETOPARS (brand I used for seal on top of my headlights):

·
Registered
770 Posts
Nope, I believe the OP is referring to the rear door seal that gets sprayed by the front of the rear tire. When you open the rear passenger door, there is a seal that is on the door and seals flat again a plastic surface the is about knee level on the car body. It was as if it was design this way so the passenger would be closer to the seat when entering. When the door is open, you can tell that part of the tire tread is no longer covered by the car body. This causes water and mud to spray directly on this seal. SO much so that the sealing surface (the car body) gets dirty. Whenever I wash the car, I make sure to open the rear door and clean this surface. I don't get any dirt father that the sealing surface so the seal is working for now on mine

·
Registered
314 Posts
I wondered about the viability of this design, so I always clean that sealing area when washing the car because it really gets dirty in the rain.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yep it's a design issue rather than the seals I think although the seals are pretty soft! Not sure if there is a fix, cant find any type of "reverse" mudgaurd that might work as theres nowhere really to fit it as the way the door opens would prevent this. If you look at the attached pictures it's pretty bad and this is non offroad driving albeit on fairly poor country roads

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
So are you guys saying this leaks water into the rear floor carpet area?
I dont think into the compartment itself. But the first double seal is at the ledge of the plastic and carpet. A lot of times most cars will have a single seal to keep the environment out of the door sill area.

In a month if GKlein13 says they reduced all that stuff in the door sill area Ill be getting them. Less to clean/detail.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Wow, never even thought about checking that area for moisture. I’ve been fighting a water leak in my older Silverado for quite a while! What a giant PITA!
I would have to make a huge beef with my dealer about that.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I know that I added the metal door sills for the inner/outer and the inner one goes behind that seal. I think that is adding just that bit more pressure and helping seal the door. I noticed in the above video that he has similar door sill protectors that are doing the same thing. Wonder if that's what is helping it?

·
Registered
314 Posts
I'm going to be ordering these pretty soon myself. I think this would eliminate the problem.
Yeah, I hope they show up soon from other vendors too and work as advertised. I haven't gotten water in the passenger compartment, but the dirt likes to lodge in the seal at high speed. Isn't it grand that the aftermarket is re-engineering Toyota's crap designs and we have to pay extra for it?

·
Registered
178 Posts
Yep it's a design issue rather than the seals I think although the seals are pretty soft! Not sure if there is a fix, cant find any type of "reverse" mudgaurd that might work as theres nowhere really to fit it as the way the door opens would prevent this. If you look at the attached pictures it's pretty bad and this is non offroad driving albeit on fairly poor country roads
I have noticed the inner part of the door gets dirty, but always saw that even on my previous civic, just thought that was the norm to drain water etc. On the inside plastic after the seal, I haven't had dirt accumulate there YET.

As preventative maintenance before winter I hit all my soft rubber seals in and around the car with some WD40 Silicone spray, mostly so my door wouldn't get stuck shut for whatever reason and damage the rubber, but maybe that helped? 🤷‍♂️

For those wondering in my vid posted earlier, the Japanese fellow replied with a link to the seal he used. It's in Japanese, so use translate, but I haven't seen a seal with that shape yet on amazon:

·
Registered
770 Posts
But it's not the door edge that is the issue.

It's where the rear door closes; basically hear the bottom edge of where the door latches.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts