Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, my wife chose a 2016 RAV4 Limited as the replacement for her 2010 Highlander and we got it on Saturday. We put about 300 miles on it over the weekend.

For those who read my posts before, my major complaints about the 2013 RAV4 I owned were:
1) mediocre crash test ratings
2) noise
3) rough ride
4) weird / inconsistent shifting

Well, after spending several hours behind the wheel of my wife's new RAV (she does not like to drive on weekends), my observations are:

1) Crash test ratings: Toyota did a decent job to correct these, although they are still don't match best-in-class. It's nice to see that Toyota made the Toyota Safety Sense P (TSS-P) standard equipment on the Limited trim, so I give the a full "point" on safety.

2) Noise: Engine noise has been significantly reduced with more/better sound insulation. But road / noise / tire noise is still pretty bad. Even my wife, who is less picky than me when in comes to noise, called the new RAV4 "noisy" at highway speeds (70-75 mph). It's not a big deal for her as she drives mainly in the city, but we will keep using the Venza for road trips because compared to the RAV it is super quiet. I give Toyota "half point" for improving engine noise.

3) Rough ride: Again, Toyota did some improvements, and the ride is somewhat better, but far from "plushy". OK for a small SUV, but nothing special. I give them another "half point".

4) Transmission: Looks like there are no changes in this area, the transmission still suffers from temporary "amnesia" and forgets about 6th gear at highway speeds.

On the other hand, I am pleased with the LED headlights, which are significant improvement over the halogen bulbs. Also, the distance-pacing cruise control, lane departure alert and blind spot monitoring work well and consistently (better than a couple of other vehicles I have tested).

So, IMHO, the 2016 MY is a meaningful improvement over the 2013, but there are still some opportunity areas.

The other two close contenders were the Honda CRV and Hyundai Tucson. My wife liked the CRV's interior which feels more spacious than the RAV. But in the end Toyota won, mainly because of the trade in amount we got on the Highlander.

·
Super Moderator
10,130 Posts
Hey, at least it's not a total disaster like the '13 :crying apparently was.

Meantime we're still loving our "stone age" 2006. :kiss But alas, looks like I'm gonna have to replace the fuel pump at only 125K. Advance auto gave prices in the $250 range, dealer $350 or $650 installed. Must be time to trade it in? No way! I'm keeping my two "extra" cylinders. Just ordered this one for $9.98: Brand New Replacement Electric Fuel Pump Install Kit 3809 | eBay Maybe I'll get waaaay more than I pay for! :cheers:

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That's down to the tires themselves. A decent set of touring tires will solve that.
My wife's RAV came with Bridgestone ECOPIAs. I had ECOPIAs before on a Sienna, and they are pretty decent, soft and quiet tires. So it's not the tires, it's the RAV. Even on perfectly smooth, new asphalt the wind noise is bad (much worse than my Venza, for example).

·
Registered
529 Posts
OOO MY. here we go again LOL!!!. Look for all u out there including myself. We all bought this thing called a suv. And you know what. They all ride rough, have wind, tire noise, make strange noise, whatever. Even for myself get over it, lol.
If you u do not want these things called suv. Buy a sedan pure and simple. And drive safe and look out for other guy. Thus know need to worry about crash test.

·
Registered
1,569 Posts

·
Super Moderator
10,130 Posts
But road / noise / tire noise is still pretty bad.
That's down to the tires themselves. A decent set of touring tires will solve that.
Guess you haven't followed his litany of complaints with his previous (2013) RAV4.
In short there ain't no fixin' nothin'.
What really surprises me is they bought another one. At this point we'll take anything good he says about it and be overjoyed! :D :doh: :rolleyes:

·
Registered
8,529 Posts
I'm still sticking with and going to stick with my '11 V6 . . .:smile And a RAV is a small SUV-type vehicle with the plusses and minuses of the genre.

Reactions: DVS

·
Registered
196 Posts
I must have one of the most well behaved 2013 RAVs. It rides like an CUV should. If I wanted some plushy, floaty ride I'd go by an old used Ford LTD. Friend of mine has one and it floats down the road. Handles like the Titanic though. ;)

·
Registered
210 Posts
Guess you haven't followed his litany of complaints with his previous (2013) RAV4.
In short there ain't no fixin' nothin'.
What really surprises me is they bought another one. At this point we'll take anything good he says about it and be overjoyed! :D :doh: :rolleyes:
More like take it with a 10lb bag of salt.

The 2016 Rav is the same underlying vehicle as the 2013-2015 models with some modest style changes and a few extra features like LED headlights, Dynamic Radar Cruise Control, Pre-Collision System, adding Steering Assist to the Lane Departure Alert, etc.

Otherwise, in general, it is going to drive, handle, ride and sound exactly like it's predecessor 99+% of the time.

I can't believe that he didn't at least go for the Lexus NX that he spent so much time bragging up.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Otherwise, in general, it is going to drive, handle, ride and sound exactly like it's predecessor 99+% of the time.

I can't believe that he didn't at least go for the Lexus NX that he spent so much time bragging up.
Toyota actually did a few changes that are more than just cosmetic.

The engine bay insulation is different in 2016 MY. It looks like Toyota took the sound insulation from the European Diesel-engine model and put it in the gas-engine model. It is significantly more effective than the 2013-2015 sound insulation, resulting in lower engine noise. In the older MY's the engine would "scream" when downshifting on an incline at 70-75 mph. In 2016 model you can't hear the engine over the wind noise, even at 4-4.5k rpm. Overall, the engine noise has been reduced very much at all rpm ranges, from idle to WOT. This actually make the wind and road noise more pronounced because there is essentially no engine noise to "mask" wind noise at highway speeds.

Toyota also re-tuned the suspension (spring, shock, ???) for a noticeable improvement in ride, especially over small road imperfections. It seems that the SE carried-over the "old" suspension, while other trims got the re-tuned settings for a generally softer ride.

So the changes are meaningful, albeit not earth-shattering - typical of Toyota's approach of small improvement vs. major re-design.

Why not the Lexus? Simple, for an equally-equipped NX (moonroof, TSS-P) I would have to pay ~$7-8000 more. My wife did not consider the price difference to be justifiable, especially considering that she puts less then 10k miles per year on her car. It's her car, so it's her choice in the end. She will drive the RAV >90% of the time, mostly for short city rides, and I will spend maybe an hour per month in it. The vast majority of time when we ride together will be in my Venza (which, BTW, my wife considers much more comfortable and superior vehicle, especially for longer trips). The RAV is her "get around the city two-three times per week vehicle", while the Venza is our "main" car.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Back when i bought my XLE in 2013 i test drove the CR-V, CX-5 and Forester. IMO the Rav4 was the quietest of the four i drove. When people complain about how loud the Rav4 is i wonder how many of them compared the Rav against the competition. By competition i mean the vehicles i mentioned above as well as the Ford Escape, Hyundai Tuscon etc. Not the Venza, NX, or any other larger or luxury SUV. That's comparing apples and oranges. And every one i tested had its good and bad. Did some of them take some bumps better..yup..but they also didn't handle as well as the Rav. IMO the Rav4 was the best value for my money. 32k miles and basically no issues later i still think that.
Sorry for the rant but seeing kate back on here puffing his Venza feathers does that to me :mad:

·
Super Moderator
10,130 Posts
Venza? So you're the one still driving that gawd-ugly, discontinued piece of junk. Looks like an old man's car.
Hey now, we have a VERY sensitive and discriminating member here. :roll: No further chain jerking allowed. :!:

Reactions: RobLTD and Mikey D.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Maybe the OP will go over to the Venza forum and his wife will join here?

Good grief. After the endless b1tching and whining.....

FWIW, 2 years with the '14 XLE and every time we go for a decent drive in it one of us comments how nice it is. Perfect, no. Perfectly acceptable, definitely. We just aren't very discerning...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts