Toyota RAV4 Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have installed a Pioneer Appradio4 in my 2006 RAV4 - great product, and is going to install an aftermarket backup cam ( license plate light type) using the factory harness !
In my tailgate door I have found these connectors
I guess the 6 pin is the camera - what is the 2 pin ? - test probe says; no power and shorted

Where do I find an adapter from factory harness to standard video cable and power ?

And in the head unit end - I guess I will have the same problem with the connector as there is standard video plugs in the head unit !

I'm sure someone has been here before me - any ideas ?

Jesper from Denmark

Attachments

·
Registered
244 Posts
Hi Jesper,

Do you own a RAV4 4.3 with license plate next to the spare wheel?
In that case I could imagine that your required wiring is in the tailgate door.
On the other hand I do not know if rear view camera wiring is standard equipped in the factory harness.
Did you already contact your local Toyota dealer for information?

I own a European RAV4 4.3 (too) but with the license plate under the rear bumper.
Also I want to install a rear view cam in the license plate light, but I suppose no rear camera wiring is pre installed.
The camera distrubitor advised me to hook on to the reverse light for power, so I'll need to find a way to get there.
For the video signal they provide 5 meter coax extention cable with connectors, which can be installed like you want.

If anybody has tips in what's the best cable installation option for this kind of EU RAV4 4.3, I would appreciate this.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I actually have the same version as you - license plate under the rear bumper, however I just got a panel from the US and have changed it to License plate on the door
I have simply cut off the old license plate part, and put a dual exhurst panel on top ! .-)
Its not finished at all - need to glue and use foam to "manufacture" the new rear bumper - but it will be great i´m sure
I guess that you have the camera wiring inside your tale-gate as well - they use the same wire harness

my version is a ALA30 D-Cat 2.2 177HP diesel

Attachments

·
Registered
244 Posts
Ok, that's an option too... But I prefer to keep the license plate location and version original.
A new license plate frame, new license plate format, a new bumper, and all the work for just a camera... No.
In your case I can understand you made this change due to the fact that you have a tow hook on the bottom.

The rear view camera supplier told me that the RAV4 license plate light/camera module is specialy designed.
There for the vision of the camera, even when it's a bit low at the ground, should provide a usable image.

Did you find any wiring from the tale gate coming out at the back of the radio/in the radio's wire harness?
Maybe you did some messurements in the connector or something.
I know from experiance that the coax/video signal cable in Toyota car's is terminated in a grey connector.
It looks like a small square connector with a tiny black round coax cable. Same as the radio antenna cable.

At the back of my radio the wiring harness does not have any extra coax connections than the radio antenna.
It could be that the coax cable for the rear view camera is terminated some where (hidden) in the dashboard.
Like I found with the radio antenna coax cable. This cable is terminated under the right frond window strut.
You need to remove the strut cover with the airbag inside, and the glovebox door, to acces the gray connector.
From there a short coax cable is inserted in the gray termination connector, and goes to the back of the radio.
This is maybe something else then the rear view camera wiring, but camera cable routing can be same idea.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts