Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if it is glass or plastic? Reason I care is it gets dirty when I travel on gravel road and I frequently wipe it down with a wet rag. Just curious how scratch resistant it is.

·
Premium Member
7,386 Posts
Dunno for sure, but maybe the '20 Highlander BU camera washer components can be added to the Rav4, or just make your own? It wouldn't be as effective as wiping, but would help without scratching the lens.

·
Registered
761 Posts
Did anyone notice as he cycled the MID that there was a display which showed individual tire pressures. Now I'm irritated :mad:

The fact that they show what the system would look like in the op manual but not include it in the car is frustrating.

Oh wait, I do like the camera wash feature.

·
Registered
141 Posts
We should totally be able to retro fit that into our Ravs. It really shouldn't be too complicated I don't think. I mean, you could even just run a T off of the rear window sprayer to a secondary sprayer onto the camera. That would be stupidly simple once you have access to everything I think.

·
Registered
761 Posts
Thinking about it, when it rains, water droplets stay on the camera lens making the view distorted. Hopefully, the water fluid would have a different property so it wouldn't leave water droplets. It appears to spray vigorously, but still water/fluid might be left behind.

·
Registered
292 Posts
I do believe it's plastic, but don't quote me on that. However, I always clean it with care. As for rain getting in the way of the image, it does that on my FJ too. Maybe someone needs to design a little spinning lens, like those round storm windows on ship's, bridges, that would keep the lens free of water and dirt. But you know, in reality it would become just one more little grandiose tech idea that would fail in the real world.

·
Registered
761 Posts
I can tell you RainX does nothing.
I disagree. RainX makes your wipers chatter like mad and is very difficult to remove once applied. I would call that something even though it's negative :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
101 Posts
If it were "useless", you wouldn't mind or even notice when its obscured. You hate that because the opposite is true.
You’re reading too far into my comment. It is not useless as a camera, it is made useless by its inability to keep from becoming obscured under wet conditions. Notice how my comment states “makes it useless” and not “it is useless.”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
292 Posts
Any cam-backed car will have dirt issues on the camera, especially if the camera's mounted lower. It's just the way water and dirt flow around in a circular eddy behind the car when it's moving through the air, especially at high speed. That tends to recirculate the water and dirt like a mini sideways tornado behind your car. I've taken to carefully cleaning it off after I drive in the rain while it's still sopping wet.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Any cam-backed car will have dirt issues on the camera, especially if the camera's mounted lower. It's just the way water and dirt flow around in a circular eddy behind the car when it's moving through the air, especially at high speed. That tends to recirculate the water and dirt like a mini sideways tornado behind your car. I've taken to carefully cleaning it off after I drive in the rain while it's still sopping wet.
Agreed, however some are inherently more well designed. My Golf R had a camera that was hidden away when not in use, so it was always relatively clean, even in rain. This was a wonderful design.

For whatever reason, my 4runner, Tacoma, and our current highlander do not suffer the same levels of soiling that the Rav shows. As you said, though, giving more attention toward regular wipes is a good mitigation practice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
I fail to understand why any car designer puts the camera outside the body. The obvious place is just behind the rear glass where the rear window wiper can clean the surface and keep it clean. They do that for the camera in the front windshield so why not the rear?

·
Premium Member
7,386 Posts
They do that for the camera in the front windshield so why not the rear?
For one thing the view close behind the vehicle (where a child could be) would be blocked due to the angle of the rear window. The front camera for 360º Birds Eye system is on the grill.

·
Registered
104 Posts
For one thing the view close behind the vehicle (where a child could be) would be blocked due to the angle of the rear window. The front camera for 360º Birds Eye system is on the grill.
I have the digital rear view mirror. This has a camera just behind the glass for the back hatch. They could put a backup camera side-by-side with the digital mirror and point the backup camera at more of a downward angle. The digital rear view mirror is adjustable, up/down, left/right and I believe in/out (zoom) as well, but isn't as effective as the backup camera.

·
Premium Member
7,386 Posts
I have the digital rear view mirror. This has a camera just behind the glass for the back hatch. They could put a backup camera side-by-side with the digital mirror and point the backup camera at more of a downward angle. The digital rear view mirror is adjustable, up/down, left/right and I believe in/out (zoom) as well, but isn't as effective as the backup camera.
I have the digital review mirror too, it's not very friendly to my 73 year old eyes unfortunately, takes my eyes off the road far too long to focus on the image.:(

1 - 20 of 21 Posts