Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Rav4 2012 base that we just bought yesterday and I'm interested in backup camera solutions.

I have been reading through he forums and here is what I have learned:

Its very likely there is a hole drilled for a camera on my 2012, although it is probably filled in with rubber. I could buy some sort of OEM Camera off eBay perhaps for ~20

(Potentially this one: http://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00GN90JGW/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1)

Where I'm a little confused is:

1) Is this the best back up camera choice given the off-center nature of the license plate / or is a more centrally mounted aftermarket item a better choice?

2) Is there an "OEM Compatible wireless camera"

3) Is there existing wiring in the car that will help me get the video signal from the back to the front

4) Any suggestions over doing an in-mirror camera vs a little popup display on the dash?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
First figure out your budget...
I went with an aftermarket stereo that had many more features than the stock unit like Bluetooth and a good backup camera display...
The camera that hooks in above the license plate light is a good choice since it requires no drilling...
I would avoid the rear view mirror display since they are way too small to really be any good...
There is no wireless or existing wiring that I know of...

·
Registered
98 Posts
First figure out your budget...
I went with an aftermarket stereo that had many more features than the stock unit like Bluetooth and a good backup camera display... I would avoid the rear view mirror display since they are way too small to really be any good...
Doggone - but your timing is perfect on that post. I was going to order one of those right after finishing here. Swapping out the entire radio isn't an option unfortunately.

·
Registered
129 Posts
that amazon link, i ordered from that seller and they sent a slightly different camera housing that was useless. i got a full refund and got to keep the camera. no use at all.

make sure the light harness is the "angled" one because it if points straight up, there's not enough space behind the license plate housing. you'll need to fabricate your own L bracket or use cushioning because those lights will be a little loose when installed. if you install without securing the camera housing will probably angle upward when you close the rav4 trunk door.

i bought that oem style camera and it's good with the aftermarket 4.3" lcd screen built into the backup mirror.

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
I originally got one like that Amazon link on ebay but it was DOA. So I just popped this one I had on and screwed it into the plastic lens cover at an angle. Tapped power at the rear cig socket. Running the video wire up to the head unit wasn't that difficult. Worst part was just the grommet on the door.

Camera has such a wide angle can see the license plate heh. Which is handy for seeing exactly where your bumper is. When I moved cross country I was using this as the rear view mirror since we were packed to the gills.

·
Registered
42 Posts
make sure the light harness is the "angled" one because it if points straight up, there's not enough space behind the license plate housing. you'll need to fabricate your own L bracket or use cushioning because those lights will be a little loose when installed. if you install without securing the camera housing will probably angle upward when you close the rav4 trunk door.
So are you saying to buy this style:

And to AVOID this style:

Also.... I've noticed some cameras placed on the left side vs. the right side of the license plate housing. I would guess the right side would be best for U.S. RAVs, but wanted to make sure nothing is blocked by the wheel or anything like that...

·
Registered
18 Posts
I originally got one like that Amazon link on ebay but it was DOA. So I just popped this one I had on and screwed it into the plastic lens cover at an angle. Tapped power at the rear cig socket. Running the video wire up to the head unit wasn't that difficult. Worst part was just the grommet on the door.

Camera has such a wide angle can see the license plate heh. Which is handy for seeing exactly where your bumper is. When I moved cross country I was using this as the rear view mirror since we were packed to the gills.

Do you have the spare tire on your back door, or no? The pictures really help!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Do all these cameras have the lines built in? My nav can put its own lines on the image that you can adjust. I want to find a cam without the lines and most of the listings don't specify.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Does anyone know where to get an aftermarket version of Toyota part number 86790-42020 (...-42021) ?

It's the one that goes into the blank in the rear hatch in a 2010 , not in the license light area, as shown in the examples in this thread.

The genuine part is available on eBay, but I'm not paying $200-$400 ( unless it grants wishes )

·
Registered
10 Posts
I bought a Joying radio/dvd/nav/backup camera... I also bought their little $20 camera. It mounts with a screw. I put it right into the license light at furthest right point. It is as close to center as is possible without drilling thru the body. Dead easy, but you might want their $14 body panel tool set to remove the body panels. They are the good ones, made of plastic so no scratching like the stupid metal ones.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Where are you picking up the reverse signal? I've installed a Joying Android head unit and am searching for a reverse signal wire. I found the video signal for the factory camera and that works fine. The power going to the camera is incorrect on my wiring diagrams.

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
1 - 19 of 19 Posts