Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been doing a lot of reading on this forum and searching threads and accumulated a lot of photos and data.
Unfortunately because i'm new I can't post any images or links so I guess I have to best describe as I can.

I have a 2007 Toyota RAV4.
I purchased a Auto-Vox M1 wireless camera

It's a standard "License plate" style camera has mounting tape to stick behind the License and will have Red/Black wires that I will T-Tap into the Rear Brake Lights, probably on the passenger side.

My question is, where do I route these camera wires from the exterior of the car into the Rear Brake Light section? I've seen other's mention there's a rectangular hole behind the license plate light that you remove some black sticker to and that leads you inside the rear door panel

I'm thinking this hole will lead out inside the door panel. Once I remove the door panel trim as posted by others I would be able to get access to this rectangular hole. Then I run the wires to the rubber hose and it will then go into the brake light area where I can tap into the lights.

Can someone confirm if that is true? And if true, how do I route that wire behind the license plate light on the outside of the car? Do I have to drill a hole in the license plate light and route the wire through there to get to that rectangular hole?

·
Registered
138 Posts
It sounds like you are thinking about mounting your camera near the license plate. I can't confirm if there is a hole behind that light plate or not. If you are open to changing the mount location, it's very easy to route the wires with no drilling required.

My camera is mounted with two-sided sticky tape. Under the bottom edge of the door there is plenty of open channel to run the wires to the passenger side. You can get entry into the cabin through a grommet, and that puts you near the reverse light wiring.

This is certainly not the only way to go, but I like that the camera is central and is well protected by the spare tire mount. Here are some pics I took for you:

PS--There are leds around the perimeter of my camera. They were so bright that I covered them with electrical tape. :nerd

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i think you might be onto something. I don't mind positioning it elsewhere as long as I have an easy way to route the wires from the outside into the car without drilling. My camera also comes with 3M mounting tape.

I will have to check under my tire now for that open channel. Did you have to remove the tire cover or tire in order to get access to it?

·
Registered
138 Posts
No, no need to remove the spare. The channel is not under the tire per se, it is along the bottom of the door itself.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No, no need to remove the spare. The channel is not under the tire per se, it is along the bottom of the door itself.

Okay I just checked the car today myself. Your car is probably a different year then mine since I don't have latches on my spare tire. I think I get what your doing. You're basically running the wires underneath the spare tire or something or maybe even underneath the door itself then once you reach the side where the rubber hose you run it up the side and stick it through the rubber hole area into the Tail Lights.

Does the door when closing not pinch your wire or have the potential to break the wire if it closes itself on it?

·
Registered
556 Posts
I had added a wireless back-up camera to my '06 and let me tell you, it took me 2 hours from beginning to end. In order to access the back-up wire in the tail light, you'll need to remove the entire passenger c-pillar lower panels. Behind the license plate, I drilled and enlarged a hole next to the plate screws to fish the wire through. Then you can route the wiring behind there. I detached the swing-gate grommet and fish the wires through there, then once the tail light wires are exposed, I used t-taps to connect them.

Here are a few pictures, I didn't upload all the pictures, but the last one shows you all the panels (minus the swing gate one) that were taken out.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
finally figured out I can attach images.

Those photos are so helpful! So instead of drilling a whole next to the license plate screws couldn't I use that existing grommet where the license plate light wires go? See attached image.

I'm also thinking of running the wires once inside back to the driver side tail lights since there's more room to work in there without the jack int he way.

Attachments

·
Registered
556 Posts
Yes, you can use the existing grommet that to feed the wires through, I would suggest to slit a hole on the "bottom", facing ground, so you'll have less chance of water getting in.

The jack didn't interfere with my installation since the WiFi transmitter was actually mounted inside the swing gate panel. The wiring was long enough just to reach the passenger tail light. Depending on how long the wiring Auto-Vox provided, you can definitely run it to the driver's side. Either way, you'll need to remove some panels involving taking out screws, 10mm, and 14mm bolts. There's a lever on the side that allows the rear seats to fold down from the back, take some time to remove the trim ring since it can break off if enough force/pressure is applied.

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,639 Posts
Why bother with the lights at the rear of the vehicle? Just run your wires to the front near the fuse box. You can tap into the backup lights signal inside the panel just below the dimmer switch. The red wire in the photo is your reverse signal. The other wires can connect to the fuse box for power and the head unit for video.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yes, you can use the existing grommet that to feed the wires through, I would suggest to slit a hole on the "bottom", facing ground, so you'll have less chance of water getting in.

The jack didn't interfere with my installation since the WiFi transmitter was actually mounted inside the swing gate panel. The wiring was long enough just to reach the passenger tail light. Depending on how long the wiring Auto-Vox provided, you can definitely run it to the driver's side. Either way, you'll need to remove some panels involving taking out screws, 10mm, and 14mm bolts. There's a lever on the side that allows the rear seats to fold down from the back, take some time to remove the trim ring since it can break off if enough force/pressure is applied.
So originally i took apart the rear door panels and everything and was planning on mounting the Camera behind the license plate. I ran the cable behind the license plate late through the rectangular hole that you remove the black sticker from. I ran the cable inside the door panel only to realize the cable provided for the camera did not give me enough length to run it through the rubber hose. I wound up pulling the camera wire back out and mounting it just like you just below the spare tire. I than ran the cable underneath the rear door and found a hole close to the rubber hose area that got the cable back inside the door panel and through the rubber hose with just enough slack that I had no choice but to tap into the passenger side reverse lights. It was a pain to work in that cramped area even with the Jack removed. I lost one of the rear light bulbs as it fell inside the car into an abyss never to be recovered again. The casualty of this installation. Thankfully bulbs are cheap.

Overall I'm much happier with this placement as the camera is more centered

Attachments

·
Registered
556 Posts
There are three 10mm bolts that held the rear tail light in, I removed those in order to pull the tail light out, then all the wires were accessible. I didn't realize you weren't planning on taking the tail light out, otherwise, you could've had lots of room to tap into the wires. Regardless, glad everything worked out.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thank you KTL ! For pictures on wiring. I found one of your earlier post of 2016, but for some reason instead of pics it shows some kind warning triangles and no matter what I couldn't see them. Then decide to check if you have any thing posted later and found this post. Perfect, self explaining pics! My always concern was how to run wires thru that rubber grommet/boot. It looks on my car so tight and hard that I was thinking that there is no way to squeeze any thing else into it. But your picture show me that is very doable.
I just finished installation of Jensen VX7023, every thing is fine, but returned camera, because was not sure about that boot. Now going to buy another, but wireless, and do the install.

Thanks.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Also, KTL, I would like to ask you about wireless receiver and transmitter. I guess your receiver is in that monitor? How about those kits that have only camera, transmitter and receiver? Do they work on batteries or you need to power them with 12V, I mean both of them?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Auto-Vox M1 Wireless Camera

Hey guys, so I purchased the Auto-Vox M1 Wireless Camera as well for my 2007 Rav4. I tried installing it yesterday and had no luck getting it to work. I used the wire splice connectors on the driver side reverse light joining the Ground Wire for the camera with the Black & White Wire on the reverse light and then joined the 12V Camera Wire with the Solid Black Wire on the reverse light. Now when I tested it in reverse both the camera and driver side reverse light didn't turn on so I guess the bulb blew and I thought maybe the fuse did as well but the passenger side light works fine. Can someone please help me out? I really want to avoid going to a shop to get this remedied. Thank you in advance!

·
Registered
556 Posts
@FLORIDIAN, sorry I never responded to your inquiry. There's an app that can be installed in either Android or iOS that will receive the transmitted signal. I'm using an AOSP tablet with the app that can display the image when reverse light is activated.

My understanding of those kits is the receiver will typically need 12V to operate. The transmitter and camera will likely need reverse-switched 12V to operate since battery-operated is very unlikely due to the size requirement. Granted, the transmitter and camera will be in sleep mode for probably 90% of the time, but the battery would still need a charging circuit.
@JustLove, if you have a voltmeter or test light, make sure the BLACK wire is indeed 12V when in reverse gear. Is there a LED indicator on the transmitter when 12V is applied?

·
Registered
4 Posts
@KTL

No I don't have one as I hardly deal with electrical work, I just read on the forums here saying that the Black & White Wire was the ground and the solid Black Wire was the 12V and no the indicator doesn't light up. My problem now is getting the driver side reverse light to turn on again, I'm going to my local auto part store to pick up a new bulb and see if the old one just blew but if not I have an even bigger problem on my hands I guess. :(

·
Registered
14 Posts
I ran my camera wiring through the same hole where the license plate light goes. There is enough space there to sneak the wire up and have the light fixture. Then I ran wiring through the back door and through the stock grommet which goes from back door to the frame. Then I used the right reverse light for running power to camera as well as the reverse signal to trigger the head unit. Sure the camera is off center being above the license plate, but the main purpose of said camera is to know how far back we can go, not if we are centered in a spot of close to the curb.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I ran my camera wiring through the same hole where the license plate light goes. There is enough space there to sneak the wire up and have the light fixture. Then I ran wiring through the back door and through the stock grommet which goes from back door to the frame. Then I used the right reverse light for running power to camera as well as the reverse signal to trigger the head unit. Sure the camera is off center being above the license plate, but the main purpose of said camera is to know how far back we can go, not if we are centered in a spot of close to the curb.
I am new to the forum. Looking to verify that the solid black wire is the wire to link to the camera and ground the black with white stripe? Or the other way- black and white stripe to the camera and solid black to ground? 2007 Rav. Thanks

1 - 20 of 20 Posts