Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

Bad engine water pump + Valve cover gasket 10k miles

389 Views 4 Replies 5 Participants Last post by  wscan
So I took my 2022 Prime SE in to the dealer for the 10k service and upon returning it to me, they said the tech believed the bearing was bad in the water pump for the gas engine as it was making excessive noise. They wanted to replace under warranty but had to order parts. I took it back for that service, and then they said that while they were in there doing the water pump, they noticed an oil leak from the valve cover and sent me a pic of a drip from the corner of the head and they wanted to replace that under warranty as well. I had them go ahead and do the work, but the whole thing just weirds me out. I wanted to see whether anybody here had heard anything about early failures of the engine water pump or valve cover gasket? I honestly suspect that the oil drip they saw was just a spill than ran down from when the tech had filled it up during the oil change, but I also didn't want to decline warranty service and then later have it come back to bite me in the future in the case of a larger failure. Also worth noting they returned the car to me reeking of gasoline. They advised that they had to take off the fuel rail for the valve cover which makes sense, but they must have spilled a good amount because it stank for days.

The whole thing is just giving me a sour taste on the car. I don't like the idea of having multiple unrelated parts fail so early, and I never really trust sealant/gasket applications done after production as much as the original ones.

Also worth noting I had them do the TSB for the blind spot monitors that get stuck on and it has not fixed the problem.
Anyone else heard of these particular issues on Primes or Rav4 Hybrids?
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
2021 Prime XSE, former Prime SE [sold]
751 Posts
Water pump failure and oil leak are both extremely rare, and odds of them happening on a brand new vehicle at the same time would seem to be infinitesimal. Can't completely rule it out but it sure feels like you're being taken for a ride. I'd definitely get a second opinion.

· Registered
2022 RAV4 Prime SE, Architect color
23 Posts
Dealers get paid very well form Toyota for warranty work. I would be interesting to know if the problem really existed and if they really did any work. Sounds like a made up problem so they could document warranty work and get paid for something they might not have actually done. Kind of sounds like the old "short sticking" the oil dipstick the gas stations did in the days when they still had full service and attendants that got paid a commission on the quarts of oil they sold. It would be interesting to have a different dealer look at for any evidence the engine had actually had any workj done on it. Usually there is some evidence of bolts being turned etc. I would suspec that the work you described would have required a considerable amount of remove/replace of parts and thart shoudl be evident.
I'd find a different dealrer if it was ne.

· Registered
384 Posts
Also worth noting I had them do the TSB for the blind spot monitors that get stuck on and it has not fixed the problem.
I had the blind spot monitor TSB done and the blind spot monitors are much improved. I have only caught the light staying on once in about a month since it was done. However, I am still "monitoring" the issue.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts