Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have a 2005 and since last winter I'm getting 100 miles less on a tank full.
I know it drops a little in the winter but not by 100 miles.
I have not changed anything that has to do with my driving.
I'm getting the same in the summer months also!!
Tried gas additives and has not helped
Changed air filters and has not changed
Changed spark plugs and have not changed
New brakes, nothing
Had a computer check and doesn't see any problems, says oxygen senses are good.
I do need new tires, but highly doubt that would cause me to lose 100-150 miles per tank.
A year and a half ago I would get close to 350 miles with various driving conditions per tank, now 200 to maybe 240
I only have 85 k on it
HELP ME OUT HERE WITH SOME THOUGHTS
Thanks

·
Registered
8,534 Posts
What is the actual fuel mileage - distance driven divided by the amount of fuel required to fill the tank?

·
Registered
27 Posts
I'm a new 05 owner And its not looking to good from what I'm seeing so far, I'm on the first tank since I got back to town with it. Going out it in it in a min and I will check it. I looked last night it was coming up on 150 and it was getting down to quarter of a tank left. I know its alittle early commenting on it. It rolled 195,000 last night. When we came back with it I drove it 225 and had a half tank left. I didn't refill at that point. But Im going to let it go down pretty low and refill on this next one. I don't know when the last time it was tuned up. Did change the air filter cause it had a cheap one in it and changed the oil. I put new tires on it last Thursday rides WAY BETTER and a lot LESS NOISEY. It was 165 when I went out and the gauge was dipping just blow the quarter mark, So I don't know if I'll make at least 200 miles.

·
Premium Member
2,505 Posts
First, the tank gauge is not accurate. When half-full it has at least three more gallons left below Empty.
And of course, do not rely upon the dash indicator of MPG.

·
Registered
8,534 Posts
Maybe about 18
Sounds like that's a guesstimate. What is your ACTUAL gas mileage? That figure would help in problem evaluation and problem solving.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Vponder
What tires did you get?
I'm looking at the Firestone destination le
Read a lot of reviews and say they are very quiet which is what I'm looking for

·
Registered
27 Posts
I got Goodyear all weather fuel max , I was nt to particular they are quite so far. Our Toyota Dealership offers buy 3 get one free so I got them there it was 416. 00 out the door. Im on kinda of a budget with getting this thing back in shape. I don't know if that was the best choice of tire for this but it will do for now.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I don't know where everyone on here lives, but here we have a couple of places that sale Non- ethanol gas. My neighbor uses in everything he has. He says he gets better mileage on his vehicles. I got me account with the company and the station is in our downtown area. Ive mainly used it in my VW dune buggy. I got some of that Chevon fuel treatment and I'm going to use that, and the non Ethanol on the next fill up to see what it does. Im in South Ga just above Tallahassee Fl, Suppose to be 80 degrees Christmas Day Ho Ho Ho

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I got Goodyear all weather fuel max , I was nt to particular they are quite so far. Our Toyota Dealership offers buy 3 get one free so I got them there it was 416. 00 out the door. Im on kinda of a budget with getting this thing back in shape. I don't know if that was the best choice of tire for this but it will do for now.
Let me know how the mileage is coming along

·
Super Moderator
11,107 Posts
Until you figure the actual MILES PER GALLON over several tanks of fuel you're just guessing.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I filled up last night by what I got was 16, but I started alittle late counting on the fill up (miles) I went like 192 in that area. I never did let it get to where the light came on. So on this tank Ill check it more close. It took 12 gal to fill it. Today I notice Ive been 42 miles and its just coming off the full mark. I did not stuff the tank when it kicked off. I filled up with non-ethanol and put in a Chevon treatment. Its a fun little car to zip around in.
I was taking the cover off the third brake and one of the clips fell back in the body I got it visible with a magnet but it slip out of the needle nose pliers and fell back in the body so I got to get a clip and a bulb now.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Well today was refill day, checked the mileage at 18.4 mainly all city driving. I ran it down pretty low about the needles width from the empty mark the light never came on. Went 231 miles. That tank was non ethanol. So I don't know how that compares to what its suppose to get.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
That's not that good
I just started Luke oil gas treatment, I'll give it a few tank fulls and let you know

·
Registered
27 Posts
Yea I may try the Lucus fuel treatment , but it may need spark plugs. Seems like my luck those wires would get messed up pulling them off the plugs. I don't know when they have been changed they may be original with 195k. When I brought it home from my sisters I went 225 on a half tank I didn't check it at that point I just let that tank run on down till the next fill up. That was one loud ride home on those wore out Tiger Paw tires.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
2005 Rav4

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

(Thread Starter)

BAD GAS MILEAGE 2005

Have a 2005 and since last winter I'm getting 100 miles less on a tank full.
I know it drops a little in the winter but not by 100 miles.
I have not changed anything that has to do with my driving.
I'm getting the same in the summer months also!!
Tried gas additives and has not helped
Changed air filters and has not changed
Changed spark plugs and have not changed
New brakes, nothing
Had a computer check and doesn't see any problems, says oxygen senses are good.
I do need new tires, but highly doubt that would cause me to lose 100-150 miles per tank.
A year and a half ago I would get close to 350 miles with various driving conditions per tank, now 200 to maybe 240
I only have 85 k on it
HELP ME OUT HERE WITH SOME THOUGHTS
Thanks

Metastatic Melanoma

Get the Facts on Advanced Melanoma

& a Treatment Option that May Help.

melanomatreatmentpossibility.com

1 - 20 of 21 Posts