Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2015 Rav4 XLE. I have a hard time keeping stations on. Keep fading in and out. Has anyone changed antennas to improve reception, or any other ideas ?

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
I have a 2015 Rav4 XLE. I have a hard time keeping stations on. Keep fading in and out. Has anyone changed antennas to improve reception, or any other ideas ?
I only listen to XM (3 months free)
and it does occasionally cut out. no fading just cuts out then cuts back in after a few seconds.
I replaced my mast with a 'shark fin' and I have no trouble with AM/FM/XM reception - I live in/near a major city though.

XM goes completely dead when I pass certain areas with cellphone sites.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I only listen to XM (3 months free)
and it does occasionally cut out. no fading just cuts out then cuts back in after a few seconds.
Thanks for the reply. I also used XM 3 month free. Yes I know about cutting off and on. What I'm talking about is the am & fm stations don't stay on, bad reception ,etc.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I replaced my mast with a 'shark fin' and I have no trouble with AM/FM/XM reception - I live in/near a major city though.

XM goes completely dead when I pass certain areas with cellphone sites.
Thanks for replying. What was the cost for the shark fin antenna, how hard is it to change out ?

·
Registered
376 Posts
Check by unplugging all electronics, such as USB chargers. I had a 2 amp belkin 12v car charger which caused FM interference whenever I plugged in my phone for charging. Assume belkin device was defective & won't use it again.
I replaced it with Verizon branded charger for my Android device and interference stopped. By interference, I mean stations faded out easily, didn't have to travel too far outside the area for them to disappear altogether. Unplugged the phone from the charger and problem went away.
It took awhile for me to diagnose.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Check by unplugging all electronics, such as USB chargers. I had a 2 amp belkin 12v car charger which caused FM interference whenever I plugged in my phone for charging. Assume belkin device was defective & won't use it again.
I replaced it with Verizon branded charger for my Android device and interference stopped. By interference, I mean stations faded out easily, didn't have to travel too far outside the area for them to disappear altogether. Unplugged the phone from the charger and problem went away.
It took awhile for me to diagnose.
Thanks for that info, the only thing I have hooked up is GPS hooked into 12v outlet. I will give that a try by unplugging it. Thanks again, I will let everyone:smile know if that helps.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts