Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I find its not hard to get some spin from the front wheels in the hybrid. Even when already rolling decent. So is that the instant and additional torque of the motors, ungrippy ecopia tires or bad awd design? I must admit, it's kinda neat to spin the wheels if I wanna. But at the same time, it's wasted energy and tire tread. It hasn't been intentional. Just driving it as I did my 2014 rav which was almost impossible to get any spin but had decent pick up. Still just breaking the hybrid in though so I've been babying it for the most part so when I do occasionally give it some gas(or battery) it is certainly peppier.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I'm thinking this has more to do with the tires than anything else. LRR (Low Rolling Resistance) tires come in all sorts of flavor, but traction can be lacking under certain conditions. First time I experienced a LRR tire was on a Prius (OEM Michelins) - I could not drive that thing without having traction control or ABS kick on at some point during my commute. Playing around with tire pressures helped some, but it still would spin the inside tire quite a bit, lockup the wheels on a hard stop.

·
Registered
846 Posts
I think I drive like a grandfather in ECO mode and neither my wife (when I am present :) )or I have not experienced any wheel spin outside winter season.

We have the stock 18" Bridgestone Ecopia tire as well.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I do get wheelspin, even in Eco mode, but only when accelerating hard while turning. Mine came with 18" Yokohama Geolandars though, not Bridgestones. I am not sure of their LRR rating.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Thanks for the link. Interestingly, the US Yokohama site has no listing for 2016s yet, but it appears to be the same G91AV.

·
Premium Member
7,936 Posts
My Hybrid came with the G91AV, no problems with them, although I don't expect them to last long, I've never ever had good wearing OEM tires in over 50years of car ownership.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts