Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
02 4wd with 117k miles. Started to get the dreaded grey/blue smoke at cold startup. Lasts for about 10 seconds and then goes away. Only happens at Cold startup in the mornings or whenever in the middle of the day when the car has been sitting for awhile. My research has told me that the most probable cause is bad valve seals. Is it worth doing a compression test first? Any other tests I should do to rule other things out? Also how do I know which valve seals are the problem, or should I replace them all at once. And finally, can someone point me to a post or video on this procedure. I've seen plenty of videos so far but not specifically for the 1AZ-FE 2.0L engines.

·
Super Moderator
9,417 Posts
Unless the smoke bothers you or it's using oil I'd leave it as is. Changing the seals w/o removing the head it a tricky procedure not a simple DIY one.
Maybe do the compression test first. If it's suspect remove the head and have it rebuilt.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Unless the smoke bothers you or it's using oil I'd leave it as is. Changing the seals w/o removing the head it a tricky procedure not a simple DIY one.
Maybe do the compression test first. If it's suspect remove the head and have it rebuilt.
I've been keeping an eye on the oil weekly and haven't noticed significant changes.. if any at all actually. Which then leaves me to wonder, is the blue tint smoke caused by oil leaking in and burning? or could it be something else. Do you know of any videos or write ups on this i could take a look at? Thanks for the response.

·
Super Moderator
9,417 Posts
Blue smoke is telltale for oil burning but if the engine isn't using any significant amount it's not worth the cost or trouble to fix it.
What's also interesting is in all of the posts on the '06-'08 2.4L engines that do burn significant amounts of oil I can't recall anyone mentioning blue smoke.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yah that's interesting. Where does all that oil go anyway? I'll go ahead and take your advice for the time being. I'll continue to research the issue and gain more knowledge before I try and attempt a fix. And I'll keep an eye on the oil.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Both my 2.0L and 2.4L did this on a morning start-up. It seems to do this only when the exterior temperature is around 10 deg celcius (50 fahrenheit). It's not an issue for me... no oil consumption.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Both my 2.0L and 2.4L did this on a morning start-up. It seems to do this only when the exterior temperature is around 10 deg celcius (50 fahrenheit). It's not an issue for me... no oil consumption.
That’s what I thought at first myself. But it would happen on warm mornings too (I live in LA so it rarely has been cold in the mornings). It also happens when I start it for the first time in the afternoons if I haven’t started it already in the morning. There definitely is a slight tint of blue to the light grey exhaust. This has been happening for a month now. It’s been the same every day and I haven’t noticed it getting worse. Some starts are a little less than others. I’ve seen videos of replacing valve stem seals on other engines without removing the head. I just can’t find anything for this engine. Dr. Dyno says it would be difficult so what would you think? Here’s the video I was just looking at:

·
Registered
272 Posts
unless oil consumption is high, and by high I mean dumping in a quart every two weeks, forget it, the amount of work involved isn't worth it
when I pulled the head to do the Time sert repair the gasket set I bought included valve seals, but even though I had it tore down that far I didn't think it worth the trouble, especially since the seals showed no problem
it will cost you close to 100 bucks for gaskets, seals, and sealants, you can buy 10 five gallon jugs of oil for that which would last you four years if consumed at a rate of a quart every two weeks

I had a Mazda pickup that was near end of life and was consuming oil, I fed it a diet of my used oil from changing my RAV4, the Mazda eventually went to the junk yard because the body was rusted so badly, the engine still ran fine minus the oil consumption ...

·
Super Moderator
9,417 Posts
IMO, unless you're and experienced mechanic changing the seals isn't something I'd advise trying. I can do almost any car work including replacing bent valves on my former '06 Accord Hybrid but for just a little blue smoke I wouldn't put the effort into this one. The biggest gotcha in changing the seals w/o removing the head is the chance, actually eight chances, of a valve slipping and falling into the cylinder. Then the "7" job becomes a "10" and your car won't run again for a while.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Arlight guys you convinced me to set this one aside for now lol. I'm running Mobil 1 synthetic right now. Any suggestions on running high mileage synthetic oil?

·
Super Moderator
9,417 Posts
If it's not actually consuming oil why change. You could add one of the oil treatments like Motor Honey or STP to reduce the blue smoke. Or better yet just don't look!

·
Registered
489 Posts
Agree with the others. Cost/risk vs benefit is pretty skewed. The only oil it’s burning at startup is just what’s dripped down from the valvetrain while sitting. It’s seepage, and not much of that.

If it makes you feel better you can move to a high-mileage type oil (understand that it likely can’t do anything to condition the seals, but it’s likely a touch thicker, thereby reducing the seepage). I had this on my older engines before and never bothered to fix it; there are bigger fish to fry. Enjoy your RAV!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts