Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,566 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I miss the grocery bag hooks that were in my '01...

...and short of raiding a salvage yard for a wrecked 4.2, this is the closest thing I've found...

"Bag Tamers"

Anyone try these?

·
Super Moderator
1,566 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
All depends on what you hang off of them... These "Bag Tamers" say they can attach by velcro, so they might be adjustable if they're on the carpet-like rear seatbacks -- just not sure how much weight they can really take without falling off.

A typical grocery bag needs around 20 inches to clear the floor -- YMMV, of course since not all bags are the same... You also might want to hang taller bags on the hooks and mount them higher.

·
Super Moderator
1,566 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Another alternative? These guys just call them "Bag Hangers"... Only problem is this is the manufacturer/exporter and they only sell them in quantities of... umm... err... 4800?!?!? :shock: :shock:

·
Registered
168 Posts
I'm assuming you need more than the two that are currently there? Or you don't like the placement?

·
Super Moderator
1,566 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, when you go out on your typical grocery run, do you just come away with few enough bags to hang on two hooks stuffed into two corners of the cargo area?

C

·
0 Posts
I just took delivery on a base 2006. The owners manual says that there are two grocery hooks located just inside the back door. I haven't tried them yet to decide if they are too close to back door to be functional.

·
Registered
379 Posts
You know I have been reading lot about grocery bag hooks or the lack there of. When I picked up my Rav Friday, in the flip up console were two black hooks in a little plastic bag. I asked asked the sales guy what they were and he said "grocery bag hooks" I don't have any idea where they go. I eat out all the time. But they are included. See Toyota didn't forget.

·
Registered
422 Posts
I think I used the hooks in my 4.2 about twice. They're great for the first four bags of groceries I suppose, but what am I supposed to do with the other 20 bags? Hmm...maybe if I get some of those 5,000 bag hangers and put them all over the car! :lol:

I just toss everything in the cargo area as best I can. Usually the pile goes most of the way up to the tonneau cover. :roll:

Becky

·
Super Moderator
1,566 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hehe, don't be so cautious Becky! I used the hooks all the time and always hung more than one bag on each... Depends on how full the bags were, of course, but they're more than capable of handling their fair share of encumberances. :D

My biggest peeve with just laying bags in the cargo area is that they always toss around and stuff falls out and rolls around. The hooks keep the bags upright and nothing can fall out. :? And also, if they're hooked, it makes the bags easier to retrieve, rather than rooting around trying to find the bag handles.

cslittle and inlets: Yes, Toyota did forget, because those two hooks that straddle the rear door were in the 4.2 as well.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Derek said:
karrock said:
Another alternative? These guys just call them "Bag Hangers"... Only problem is this is the manufacturer/exporter and they only sell them in quantities of... umm... err... 4800?!?!? :shock: :shock:
Now that is a clever design. :wink: I wouldn't mind getting a few of those for my 4.1 RAV. Anyone need 4796! :lol:
Group Buy!!! 8)

·
Super Moderator
1,566 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
LOL :mrgreen: Even if we could get a group buy going, that'd be maybe what... 100 of em? What about the other 4700? :lol:

I'd suspect that the "Bag Hangers" are probably available at WalMart or some other discount or auto parts stores. Haven't looked yet though...

·
Registered
98 Posts
I find the cargo nets much more usefull for keeping things from flying around. The bungee type ones spring closed around everything. I've seen them on ebay , designed for the 06 RAV, for $17.

·
Super Moderator
1,566 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Already have a cargo net, but once again, limited capacity... It only holds as many bags as you can stuff across its width.

Found knockoffs of the Bag Hangers at Advance Auto Parts for $1.99 -- they were called "Headrest Bag Hooks" branded as AutoXpress, part number AX795. I'm sure something similar can be found elsewhere. They're a little smaller and lighter duty looking than I'd like (probably can only hang one bag per hook), but I'll give em a test drive and see.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Found a hook in Japan. Anyone interested in getting one? I can send to you for $4.00 + usps first class mail postage. I've several extra sets. It can hold up to 1.5kg (~3Ibs).

·
Registered
986 Posts
I rarely ever use the grocery bag hooks in the back of my Rav because I don't usually put the grocery bags in the back due to the fact that I usually have a bunch of stuff taking up space. Most of the time I put the bags on the floor in back of the front seats.

·
Registered
271 Posts
I use it to hold a small bag for my daughter. That way I could keep my back seat clean without having to pick up trash every weekend. The other hold a small bag for my daughter to keep her little brother's toys.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts