Toyota RAV4 Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I understand that the Sport has a 'sport tuned suspension'. Does anyone have a comprehensive list of parts that could "sportify" the base model in these regards?

·
Registered
207 Posts
Or, just buy a set of Sachs struts & shocks from Rock Auto. That will "sportify" your Base as it did my '11 Ltd. With all due respect to rav4system, you don't need to get new springs and such. After spending lots and lots of time on this site looking into "sportifying" my Ltd., I learned that the springs are the same. What's different between the Base/Ltd. and the Sport is the damping rates of the struts/shocks. The Sport has more rebound and compression damping. That's what you want. You will get that with Sachs. Sachs takes away the jiggles.

And, as you live in Maine with it's terrible, frost-heaved, semi-paved roads, I would not get the 18" wheels with 55 series tires. I run the stock 17" wheels with 255/60 series tires. The ride is still comfortable and there's more control when driving at high speeds, i.e., 85+mph. >D: on "The Airline" (some Mainah insider humor) and through the twisties; body roll is slightly reduced.

Suspension preferences are subjective of course. That said, I think you'll be satisfied with what I've suggested if you are looking to tighten up the suspension. Plus it won't cost nearly as much as buying Sport springs, struts/shocks, and wheels and tires. My wife has our RAV in Maine at the moment :doh: and she hasn't complained about the Sachs setup. Nossa Bub.

·
Super Moderator
11,736 Posts
I understand that the Sport has a 'sport tuned suspension'. Does anyone have a comprehensive list of parts that could "sportify" the base model in these regards?
Be careful what you wish for. Many "Sport" owners don't like the very hard & harsh ride, some do.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Or, just buy a set of Sachs struts & shocks from Rock Auto. That will "sportify" your Base as it did my '11 Ltd. With all due respect to rav4system, you don't need to get new springs and such. After spending lots and lots of time on this site looking into "sportifying" my Ltd., I learned that the springs are the same. What's different between the Base/Ltd. and the Sport is the damping rates of the struts/shocks. The Sport has more rebound and compression damping. That's what you want. You will get that with Sachs. Sachs takes away the jiggles.

And, as you live in Maine with it's terrible, frost-heaved, semi-paved roads, I would not get the 18" wheels with 55 series tires. I run the stock 17" wheels with 255/60 series tires. The ride is still comfortable and there's more control when driving at high speeds, i.e., 85+mph. >D: on "The Airline" (some Mainah insider humor) and through the twisties; body roll is slightly reduced.

Suspension preferences are subjective of course. That said, I think you'll be satisfied with what I've suggested if you are looking to tighten up the suspension. Plus it won't cost nearly as much as buying Sport springs, struts/shocks, and wheels and tires. My wife has our RAV in Maine at the moment :doh: and she hasn't complained about the Sachs setup. Nossa Bub.
I looked up coil springs on spark's Toyota website for factory replacement parts and they list different part numbers along with different prices for sport and base/limited springs.....they also list different part numbers for 2wd vs 4wd and the 3rd row ravs get their own springs as well.....that tells me that the sport does have their own spring vs bast and limited......I would also caution against going 225/60-17 as that size is much smaller than stock and will add more miles to the odometer than you actually drive....

·
Registered
207 Posts
Okay. I stand corrected on the springs. That said, unless akohler has tons 'o money, I'd suggest starting with shocks. They need replacing sooner or later anyway. Springs could be done at the same time to save on labor. But, as RTexasF noted, be careful what you wish for. Again, I can truthfully state that Sachs shocks are sportier, i.e., firmer (and cheaper) than stock Base/Ltd. shocks.

My tires are 255/60s. So, I guess you could say I have the opposite odometer "problem." But they're within the acceptable range. Plus, they look and feel pissah. They're wicked good. Ayuh!:thumbs_up:

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
I totally missed the 255 LOL.....if I was the op I would upgrade the struts and shocks and go up to an 18 inch wheel with 255/55 tires......his handling will improve and the ride would still be pretty good.....I have a sport sap that I put 235/65-17s on cause I wanted more rubber than the stock tires provided.....I think I'm gonna go back to 18s tho.......

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
LOL.....yeah my wife gets annoyed when new wheels and tires shows up.......I promise to sell the old set and take her to a movie or dinner and I get out of the hole pretty quick.....most of the time...

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
I knew the Sports had different springrates, but didn't know the sport+3rd row had unique springs too. Wonder what those cost from the dealership?

Dr J
i think the sport, limited and base all had the same rear springs.....base/limited with 3rd row had another set for them (sport was not available with 3rd row if i remember right).....also i do believe the 4 and 2 wheel drives had different springs.....they are all around the 60 dollar mark from sparks toyota.....i went on their site and searched for factory replacement parts.....you can find them there.... click this link
Toyota and Scion Parts - Genuine OEM - TRD Performance | TRDSparks.com

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.