Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 07 V6, the light started flickering and the next day the car died while driving. Lost all power and then engine stopped. Tried jump starting but would only run for a few seconds and disconnecting. Electrical system would then go haywire. Check the belt and it seems tight and fine. Normally I would have it towed to repair shop but here's the real kicker. I live in the Caribbean and we were just hit with a major hurricane. All shops are down. My guess is I need to replace the alternator, battery is brand new. Anyone have any suggestions? Thanks for any and all help!!

·
Super Moderator
11,113 Posts
Assuming all connections are secure the alternator sounds like it could be the problem. I hope you can find the part under those conditions.

·
Super Moderator
10,153 Posts
I agree with Tex. You need an alternator because what many people don't know is the alternator runs the car not the battery. It's main job is starting and providing some voltage stability. So w/o the alternator keeping it charged even a new one will discharge quickly - even quicker from the fairly heavy demand of electric power steering the RAV4 got in 2006.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the help. Replaced the alternator and it drove fine home. Just started it up and now the VSC, traction control and check engine lights are on. It also is lacking in engine power and has a rough idol.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts