Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
8,583 Posts
Looks like they may have looked to see if the battery was actually present in the RAV and since it was they marked the check list OK!:confused:

Makes one wonder whether they actually did check the other items on the list!

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,759 Posts
Wow, that's a lot of corrosion for only 20K miles. My battery terminals are clean as a whistle with almost 46K. I am on my 3rd battery, but the clamps have never been cleaned. I think my dealer would have caught that, they seem very thorough with the oil change inspections. I would take it back and show that to the service manager.

·
Registered
38 Posts
It looks like they might have gone through and checked everything off at the same time. There's an extra check in the under the hood section and towards the end they don't even bother with checks and just use slashes, at the very least they appear to have been in a rush.

·
Registered
294 Posts
I think I would be checking real good behind this dealer.

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
That is plain BS...totally not acceptable! I'd go back and ream someone a new anus! :surprise

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I do plan on sending the pictures to corporate. The car has been serviced four times at this dealer with the regular scheduled intervals.
I did clean the battery post myself and arranged with another dealer to have them double check my Rav4 inspection.

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
+1 on the "that's too much corrosion" opinion. Sometimes that sort of corrosion can be due to some other issue or defect, or just a dirty/contaminated battery or cable, or a bad connection. I've had Toyotas go for 5 years and 60k miles with ZERO corrosion. Others have wound up with a little, but nothing like that in 20K miles.

Disconnect it at both ends and clean everything thoroughly.

·
Registered
8,583 Posts
My battery terminals don't have any corrosion either, after 5 1/2 years, and I've never had to clean them. The amount of corrosion shown in the first post likely is due to a defect in the sealing where the positive terminal runs through the upper part of the battery case. If the RAV is still under the original factory warranty the battery should be replaced under warranty since the seal apparently is defective and the corrosion problem likely will recur in short order and that also depletes acid from that cell.

·
Super Moderator
11,139 Posts
UNFORGIVABLE! Take it back and show the manager of that department. Keep in mind that they might just pressure spray that crap all over the place to clean it up.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Wow, that's a lot of corrosion for only 20K miles. My battery terminals are clean as a whistle with almost 46K. I am on my 3rd battery, but the clamps have never been cleaned. I think my dealer would have caught that, they seem very thorough with the oil change inspections. I would take it back and show that to the service manager.
Slight tangent to this thread, but I'm curious. 3 batteries in 46K miles junebug? I guess thats about 2.5 years a battery. I ask b/c just yesterday my battery failed to start the vehicle with very little warning. I noticed a slightly slower turnover (I mean *slight*) for about a week and then - wham! - dead. Alternator is charging fine (about 14v) but the battery didnt hold enough charge to start it. Got it jumped, drove around, restarted once and then the next morning failed to start again. I was a bit surprised (2012 V6 with about 33K) that it failed so suddenly, and what I would have thought so soon. I've had batteries last so much longer in the past. But reading thru the forums the past day or so and 3 years seems to be normal for the OEM unit.

Bought a AutoZone Duralast Gold with much more CCA.

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
If I am not mistaken Toyota's choice of batteries has been a sore subject for a number of years now - and not just in the RAV4 either!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,759 Posts
Slight tangent to this thread, but I'm curious. 3 batteries in 46K miles junebug? I guess thats about 2.5 years a battery.
Yes, that's correct. The original Furukawa battery got weak and was replaced under warranty at 10,996 miles and 25 months. The replacement was a Toyota TrueStart battery with a 2-year replacement. The TrueStart failed at 27,260 miles and 25 months--with the pro-rated warranty, they told me a replacement would be something like $65! I went to Advance Auto and got a 3-year replacement AutoCraft Gold for $82.83! and it's still going strong 3 years later!

·
Registered
499 Posts
Who raised the plastic terminal cover or cap? If it was down in the proper position at the dealer, they may not have noticed the corrosion.
In 60 years of driving I've never had that much corrosion on a battery terminal. Some Vaseline on the terminals keeps them clean.

·
Registered
80 Posts
http://www.amazon.com/CRC-05023-Technician-Battery-Indicator/dp/B000CIRTY0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1453067638&sr=8-1&keywords=crc+battery+cleaner

good stuff always keep some around also spray on the terminals every now and then to keep them clean

http://www.amazon.com/CRC-05046-Technician-Terminal-Protector/dp/B000CIPUNC/ref=pd_bxgy_263_img_2?ie=UTF8&refRID=1J8CM9G0DS7KDC10RQ32

Sorry this is what I use for preventive maintenance and spray on my terminals every few months. Still good stuff and never had a battery get acid or corrosion on the terminals.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Who raised the plastic terminal cover or cap? If it was down in the proper position at the dealer, they may not have noticed the corrosion.
To me, that's kinda like saying if the hood was down in the proper position at the dealer, they may not have noticed the fluid levels, belt and hose conditions, etc.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I found out from the other dealer that the battery had a crack. It was replaced under warranty along with the positive cable to the battery.
Thanks for all comments.

·
Registered
189 Posts
WOW! Rav4thrower, have you checked your check list and recommendation, comments in the work order? probably it was mentioned there. typically, they charge to clean the battery but sometimes it depends on the technician if it will give it to you as goodwill.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts