Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

41 - 46 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
8,178 Posts
It seems I'm not the only one with a 24 month battery life.
I live in Texas, have a 2011 v6 and it goes through a battery every 2 years.
Another thing that helps destroy the battery is the high beam lights that it turns
on every time you lock / unlock the car. Is there a way to prevent it from doing that?
Thanks in advance,
Roald.

Read resident Texas expert RTexasF's post #11 in this thread about the joys of battery life (or the lack of it!) while living in Texas. Unless your car alarm system is constantly draining the battery, short battery life appears to be a fact of life there. Unless the flashing alarm high beams remain on for extended periods of time, rather then simply flashing, it is unlikely that they are the cause of early battery demise.

·
Registered
310 Posts
I was surprised to read all the threads on such short battery life in warmer climates. 2-3 yrs on a battery seems to be an awfully short life span. My usual life span on a vehicle battery is 7-10 yrs. We have more cold than hot here, but the cold winters seem to put the most strain on our batteries. I guess it doesn't shorten it's life much , but it sure won't turn an engine over to start it when it's really cold.
I just replaced the battery in my Rav which will be 8yrs old in April.(the current was a panasonic and I replaced it with a Costco battery) It still starts well but I don't want to take a chance this winter with the wife and kids in it. I'm all about preventative maintenance. Besides, if I can get 8 yrs per battery , then 1 replacement is all I should need for the life of the Rav! :) Are there any 16 yr old Rav's around?

·
Registered
419 Posts
I use to get 9 years out of a Optima AGM battery, but their now junk / manufacturing production went from USA to Mexico.
- now I use the following rebranded Exide (USA made), in my SUV's, trucks and garden tractor

Side notes copied:
*The Spiral and Flat Plate Ultra AGM Elimator batteries are OEM'd by Exide (like most of the rest of their batteries). The Eliminator Spiral = Exide Orbital; the Eliminator Ultra Flat Plate = Exide Edge. While CT gives a 5yr (60 months) replacement warranty on these batteries, Exide themselves (in the US for example) only gives 40 months on the Orbital and 48 months on the Edge. Additionally CT typically sells these for less than the prices I've seen for Orbitals and Edges in the US. One other note is that the Oribitals seem to be manufactured in a variety of places, while the Edge are manufactured in USA.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I live in the high desert, dry, averages 35°-45° and I know drive 13 miles to work & back each day. 2.75 years old and battery is dead. The fob auto start doesn't like it!

·
Registered
8,178 Posts
I live in the high desert, dry, averages 35°-45° and I know drive 13 miles to work & back each day. 2.75 years old and battery is dead. The fob auto start doesn't like it!
You didn't provide your vehicle details, which could help forum members in replying. In general, In general, if there are high temperatures in summer that could shorten battery life as in the previous posts in this thread. For some years the OEM batteries which Toyota uses have a poor reputation for longevity.

·
Registered
112 Posts
You didn't provide your vehicle details, which could help forum members in replying. In general, In general, if there are high temperatures in summer that could shorten battery life as in the previous posts in this thread. For some years the OEM batteries which Toyota uses have a poor reputation for longevity.
My Rav went into service in August 2012.

Battery is factory stock OEM original just load tested at Yota stealership as good. My fingers are crossed after reading some V6 stories here on R4W.

Rav lives in southern Ontario...81,000 kms current mileage. I bought the Rav in Kingston in January of 2019 with 68,000 kms.

Seems like hot climates are are hard on them and probably northern Canadian winters.

I had an 06 Tundra that went 9 years and 115,000 kms on original OEM battery. Traded in the core on a new one at Canadian Tire just in case...it was still good!

41 - 46 of 46 Posts