Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So after we switched the cables, jump was successful, but my dash lit up like a Christmas tree. 4WD, VSS, ABS, Tire light, Check engine all lit. Car ran like shit. Wouldn’t go over 20, won’t go over 2000 rpm with pedal to the floor. Steering wheel jerked out of my hands in the parking lot (power steering), like it wanted to go it’s own direction.

I got a new battery, mine was at 0% and it was on trickle charge all night. Still under warranty at 22 months. It’ll turn over now, but all of the above is still an issue. Still checking fuses, checked all the main culprits so far with nary a bad fuse. Hoping to drive it to auto zone tomorrow and connect it to a scanner, but it’s totally in limp home mode & I can’t get the thing to do over 20mph.

Had to have it towed back to the house night before last. Does anyone have any insight?

2007 RAV4, V6, 4WD, 3.5L

Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Is the person you had jump your car a professional tow driver or just a normal person. I believe you had some significant damage to the electrical system that will need a professional to fix.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Usually, just one fuse gets popped. No guarantees but many have reported just changing one fuse to fix it. I can't remember which one, but I believe it has to do with the ECU.

·
Super Moderator
10,933 Posts
There are fuses under the dash and also under the hood. Be sure to check them all.

·
Registered
8,187 Posts
People who have had this issue in the past have had multiple fuses blown. The Owners Manual has diagrams of fuse locations. At RTF notes there are several locations. Usually the blown fuses save the ECU from being damaged. It is best to use an electrical continuity tester when checking fuses, rather than relying upon visual checks which may not reveal those which have blown.

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
So after we switched the cables, jump was successful, but my dash lit up like a Christmas tree. 4WD, VSS, ABS, Tire light, Check engine all lit. Car ran like shit. Wouldn’t go over 20, won’t go over 2000 rpm with pedal to the floor. Steering wheel jerked out of my hands in the parking lot (power steering), like it wanted to go it’s own direction.

I got a new battery, mine was at 0% and it was on trickle charge all night. Still under warranty at 22 months. It’ll turn over now, but all of the above is still an issue. Still checking fuses, checked all the main culprits so far with nary a bad fuse. Hoping to drive it to auto zone tomorrow and connect it to a scanner, but it’s totally in limp home mode & I can’t get the thing to do over 20mph.

Had to have it towed back to the house night before last. Does anyone have any insight?

2007 RAV4, V6, 4WD, 3.5L

Thanks for any help.
Check all the fuses. There are three fuse boxes. Two fuse box in the engine area and one inside the car. You may have also blown the main fuse which is the hardest to get to since the fuse box needs to be taken apart. This fuse is called the fuse link and the dealer go by the name fusible link. The battery terminal needs to be disconnected if you change the fuse link. This thread covers removing the fuse link.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Is the person you had jump your car a professional tow driver or just a normal person. I believe you had some significant damage to the electrical system that will need a professional to fix.
Was not a professional. 2 guys in the parking lot who “know what they’re doing”. In hindsight, I should’ve connected it myself.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Some electronic device are protected from reverse polarity by having a diode installed at the input power. When a reverse voltage is applied it will cause the fuse to blow for that device. I am on another forum and a similar thing happened and the only thing that got fried was the radio. Checking all fuses is the first step starting from the master fuse. On a conventional car it is from the feed from the alternator. There are a lot of fuses in these cars Good luck and hope it is a simple fix, I would consider taking to your insurance company and by chance they may have some coverage but not likely,

·
Registered
34 Posts
I crossed polariries for a few seconds until I saw smoke. It fried the original radio in my Gas 2010 RAV4. It blew several fuses and put the car in a disability mode that allowed me to only drive 20 mph to a mechanic. Won't do that again.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts