Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Which circuits are controlled by the 20 amp fuse labeled EFI main? My 09 limited has started a very strange issue. When you turn it off the CEL and oil light stay on but dimly. There is also some kind of hum or buzz coming from under the hood and the only way to stop it is to pull this fuse. The steering wheel does not lock when this happens. If left in this state it will drain the battery. It only seems to happen randomly. Going to start hunting down circuits to find the culprit but would really like to narrow it down. Also the smart key fob does not work to lock or unlock the doors when this happens and sometimes I get the green light on the start button but when pushed it does nothing. When it is running it has absolutely no idiot lights or running issues.

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,759 Posts
It could be the steering wheel lock solenoid. The '09 Base and Sport use a mechanical wheel lock that engages when you remove the key. The Limited because of its push button start has a solenoid or motor that engages the steering wheel lock. Does the buzzing sound seem to be coming from the steering column?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Seems to be under hood but will investigate better when I get up tomorrow. Night shift this week. No blown fuses that I can find, and like I said it's only happening randomly. Twice in 2 weeks. No codes stored according to advance auto but I know how their scanners can't be trusted. Also I was wrong about the idiot lights not being on when it's running. It has the low tire pressure light and a little light that resembles a light bulb? My guess is it has a light out although the only one I have found so far is inside in the rear cargo door. The most confusing part is the CEL and oil light staying on dimly when the vehicle is off.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well this is where I'm at with this, for better or for worse. I started pulling fuses one by one until the CEL and oil lights went out while the vehicle is off. It ended up being the 10 amp fuse marked ECU-B. It's been 2 days and no issues so far. It's amazing that the car still runs fine with this fuse removed. It also turned off the low tire pressure warning light when the vehicle is running, so win-win. Maybe that's where the short is but as long as it's working, I'm going to just leave well enough alone. I will update this post if there are any further developments as this may help someone else in the future.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts