Toyota RAV4 Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just recently replaced the rear main seal on my 2010 2.5l 4WD. I dont remember where the battery ground goes. Can anyone help, with specific location and possibly pictures? Please?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hello, I was wondering if this is the battery ground that goes from the negative terminal on the battery to a ground on the body of the car? I am having the same issue as to where the negative ground gets bolted down to. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
Well dang. I have check the 2006 tech manual, and cannot find where the negative battery terminal goes farthest from the battery terminal. Am I missing he chapter that shows that?

The negative battery terminal splits into two cables. One connects to the chassis a little forward of the bottom of the battery, a little toward the driver's side of the vehicle, and a tad lower than the bottom of the battery. I can see it from above with the hood open, and I have loosened and tightened a few times to clear any corrosion.

Where does the other cable end up? I want to address that connection too. Thanks.

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,925 Posts
Well dang. I have check the 2006 tech manual, and cannot find where the negative battery terminal goes farthest from the battery terminal.
Where does the other cable end up? I want to address that connection too. Thanks.
I would assume it bolts to the engine block? I can't find it in any of my service manuals.

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
Does this help ?
I think so. I saw the black and white version in the Rav4 2006 service manual, but I was not able to make the connection. The red-colored cable seems to be it. The highest red ring in the picture would be the negative battery cable, the lowest red ring would be the chassis connection that I can see from under the hood. So the left red ring would be the connection I am looking for. Doesn't exactly locate the place, but sure seems to get darned close.

This Engine No. 3 Wire seems to be the deal.

Thanks.

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
UPDATE: Apparent success. Lower cable connection is under a 12 mm hex bolt with its center axis vertical. This is reachable with a long extension down near the front-right corner of the air filter box using a long 6-point socket a long extension. By right corner, I mean right as viewed by the driver, but it would be on your left as you look under the hood.

It took a lot of torque to break it free. Loosen, tighten, loosen, tighten a few times seems to have made the symptoms go away so far.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts