Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have owned previous Toyota hybrids and I am familiar with the battery meter never showing full capacity. It always shows 90%.

Well I went on my first road trip with my 17 Rav 4 hybrid and the battery meter only reaches 80%. When I come into a town and begin to brake it goes to 90%. When I get out of town and cruise highway, it goes back to 80%. Is this normal? I called the dealership and they never returned my phone call.

·
Registered
427 Posts
This is normal. I see only 90% on long descents.

3-8 bars is optimal from an efficiency standpoint

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
8 bars (full) actually represents an 80% SOC, 2 bars (red) represents 40% SOC.
6 bars is the normal operating level, which is all the same as the Prius gen-3 system.
The Rav4 has a larger battery and 3 motors charging instead of 2, so the system is set up a bit differently, it takes a bit more to reach 8 bars.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I have owned previous Toyota hybrids and I am familiar with the battery meter never showing full capacity. It always shows 90%.

Well I went on my first road trip with my 17 Rav 4 hybrid and the battery meter only reaches 80%. When I come into a town and begin to brake it goes to 90%. When I get out of town and cruise highway, it goes back to 80%. Is this normal? I called the dealership and they never returned my phone call.
I read an article at one point (sorry I don't have it available to source here) that Toyota has computers on board that maintain the battery pack between 20% and 80% charge at all times. This is considered to be optimal for battery life.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
I've found that on long hiway drives the meter often stays at about 6 bars until I get into some city stop and go traffic again. Anyone else? I've never seen anyone post about it but assume it's operating as designed since there are no problems and it charges full(80%) once in city again.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts