Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, i bought a 2013 RAV 4 XLE in Aug of 2012 so meh is almost 4 years old. Today I'm was unable to Start. I jumped stated it and runs good. I fig i might have left a light or something on? But i checked and didn't. I liked to know what is the length of these batteries. Should this have lasted more then 4 years. I only have 10,000 miles. Are Rav4 XLE batteries original. 24 month or 36 months rated?? or am i in need of new battery . I hear most new car batteries last maybe 3-4 years. I have a key for ignition
Jerry

·
Super Moderator
10,129 Posts
Lots of discussion the 4.3 threads here if you want to search.
Short answer on all of them = replace battery!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Dr. Dyno is correct. In addition, the expected life is "all things considered." Some will last longer, some not so long. You are in a big state--if you are parked outside in frigid and wind-swept Plattsburg, probably not so long. If you are parked in a warm parking garage in the city, probably a bit longer.

·
Super Moderator
11,100 Posts
Moved to correct area.

The original Toyota batteries are garbage as are their replacements from Toyota. Replace it with one that has a 36 month over the counter exchange warranty from any auto parts store.. MANY posts on this subject.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Sounds like your battery is on the way out. You could always go to a parts house that will test your battery (load & volt) to confirm. Or have your local Toyota dealer check it if you want to wait around. From what I have read on forums these batteries are lacking. Both my wife's RAV and my Tundra are almost at the 1.5 year mark. I was hoping they would last 8 years like my original Tacoma battery did!

·
Registered
8,529 Posts
The battery should checked via a load test as mentioned above - many auto parts stores will do it for no cost.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I also put very few miles on my last car (Honda CRV) and it had battery issues too. It ended up lasting just shy of 5 years until I traded the car in but I think the dealer was telling me the battery was failing their tests for at least 2 yrs.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for those that responded on my issue with battery. I have checked the other posts from sites here but didn't address my question in particular MY 2013 not some that had other years
Those i thanks to you all
jerry

·
Super Moderator
10,129 Posts
Thanks for those that responded on my issue with battery. I have checked the other posts from sites here but didn't address my question in particular MY 2013 not some that had other years
Those i thanks to you all
jerry
Agreed, those discussions are primarily regarding 4.3 models but the early 4.4s are now reaching the 3-4 year-old age where the same battery issues are going to occur. And, unless there were major changes from 4.3 to 4.4 such as relocating the battery away from the underhood heat, or a change in battery manufacturer, this is likely the start of the 4.4 battery failure threads.

Since heat seems to be the battery killer there are probably some late 4.3s with the original Toyota battery in cooler climates but most earlier models are probably on their second or third. My '06 is on it's second and still starting well at a little over three years. (Could be it's third since I bought it four years old with 75K.)

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
Think about it...the fact that you had to jump start your RAV because of a dead 3+ year old battery should be enough reason to replace it with a new battery. :wink

·
Registered
548 Posts
Hello all, i bought a 2013 RAV 4 XLE in Aug of 2012 so meh is almost 4 years old... ...I only have 10,000 miles.
10K miles in 4 years, maybe you are not driving enough to keep the battery charged and in good condition?

On the other hand...that's 2500 miles a year. I do only about 2600 miles a year and my 2013 battery seems fine.

·
Registered
8,529 Posts
10K miles in 4 years, maybe you are not driving enough to keep the battery charged and in good condition?

On the other hand...that's 2500 miles a year. I do only about 2600 miles a year and my 2013 battery seems fine.

Ditto - my RAV has put on about the same miles in the same amount of time - no battery problem so far (Touch wood, as the Celtic tradition has it!).

1 - 12 of 12 Posts