Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yea, I am just whining. It is 6° F here and my RAV4 would not even try to start. What is interesting - I put my puny charger on it for one hour and it lit up like new. How can that happen? That is one question.

In the Seventies I ran two 12V batteries in parallel in my GMC 4wd which was perfect. Can we do the same with our RAV4 even if we must place the extra battery in the rear (or elsewhere?)

r

·
Super Moderator
11,106 Posts
Original battery? Sounds like it's time for replacement. The Toyota batteries are marginal at best. There's no reason to go to the expense of dual batteries for a 3.5l V-6......that just does not compute.

·
Registered
8,534 Posts
Agree with RTF - sounds like it's time for a new battery. Suggest having the existing one capacity tested if you think that it could still be OK. One battery should be sufficient for starting purposes even in Minnesota in lower temperatures than there are now. One could probably add a second battery but that means added weight along with space and installation requirements, wiring hassles, and another battery to be maintained. I lived in Minnesota and even at -25F one battery did the job.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
My understanding is that many RAVs of our vintage came with a Johnson Controls battery, which was known to be...poor, at least compared to other batteries.

If it's the original battery, any battery that old couldn't really be blamed for failing, but the JC ones were the worst of the lot, possibly amplifying the likelihood of a failing battery.

I replaced my original JC battery after 3 years, just before winter, as a precaution, knowing it was a JC, to prevent exactly this scenario in the bitter cold.

I would get a replacement battery from a shop/parts store OTHER than a Toyota dealership, which may install another lower-quality battery. My local mechanic put in an Interstate battery 2 years ago, no problems so far (knock wood).

·
Registered
8,534 Posts
The OEM Johnson Controls battery in my '11 is still going strong a week before going into '18. But this area has a relatively mild year-around climate. Best OEM battery by far in our experience has been Panasonic, one lasted 13 years, but as replacement batteries they aren's available in the U.S.

·
Registered
171 Posts
ya. mine died in my 2008 v6 about 3 weeks back. It was in fact a second battery. the original is long gone. Installed a Agm battery from crappy tire. Only store that was open the night it happend. But in your case an Interstate battery would be a nice choice. Always had good luck with interstate and they make some monster powerful bats if your want more cca.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I have been told by many technicians that you should really replace a battery at 4 years old. After that it is a roll of the dice.

·
Premium Member
2,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks to you all. It looks like I'll be looking for an Interstate battery - top of the line or mid-range.

·
Super Moderator
11,106 Posts
Check the warranty. Many, if not most, of the top tier batteries offer 3 year over the counter exchange. Pro rating is year 4 through 5. Walmart does this also with select batteries. I've never had one make it past 3 years.

·
Premium Member
2,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
To conclude, I bought a high cranking battery with a four-year warrantee. I am 71 years-old. How many years' warantee do I need? :)

·
Premium Member
2,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ahha nice. That new battery is a solid investment. Montreal its minus 25c tonight. What's the temp in your neck of the woods?
-18.9c tonight South of Canada! It's the Tropics here.

My wife is still wearing a stocking cap and long underwear - indoors!
We became accustomed to our previous 8 br farmhouse @13c indoors - with a blazing fireplace! :)

Stay warm!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts