Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In February of 2004, I took delivery of a new Toyota RAV 4. I live in Michigan and park the car outdoors year round. I drive the car almost daily and just went over the 100,000 miles mark on the car this week. I still have the original battery.

·
Registered
53 Posts
My batteries have always lasted a freakishly long time. I think it's because it's parked outside in natural refrigeration for a good part of the year.

·
Super Moderator
11,109 Posts
The cooler climates are definitely a benefit to battery life. My Walmart EverStart Maxx is now five years old and going strong according to my recent cranking voltage tests. Not only are the southern US climates hotter but can you imagine the underhood temperatures created by nearly constant A/C operation?

·
Registered
60 Posts
How do you know the car was made in Japan?

·
Registered
9,026 Posts
My '11 RAV still has the OEM Johnson Controls battery and cranks like as new even though it load tests somewhat lower than the new spec. My wife's '10 CR-V still has the OEM Panasonic and it also cranks like new.

·
Premium Member
2,505 Posts
I live in Minnesota, still on my original 2011 battery.

·
Registered
807 Posts
Also built in Japan, my original battery was swapped around 85k miles when the transmission TSB was taken care of.

·
Registered
419 Posts
OEM Panasonic / Made in Japan batteries:

a) Wife's 2008 RAV4 Limited v6 - replaced with a Johnson Controls WalMart battery, in 2015.

a) My 2000 4Runner SR5 v6 - purchased from original senior owner, 2 years ago.
- my guess, battery is a Dealer replacement / as SUV is now 17 years old
- who knows, unless Japan battery was manufactured before my T4R build date

·
Registered
9,026 Posts
I'm on my fourth battery.
1) Perhaps buy shares in a battery manufacturing company.

2) Maybe for Texas batteries they should use rattlesnake venom rather than acid electrolyte.
:wink

Reactions: pico

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,895 Posts
I'm on my fourth battery.
Me too, at 55K miles. Maybe I should convert my garage into a huge walk in freezer and park the RAV there.

·
Registered
120 Posts
OEM Panasonic / Made in Japan batteries:

a) Wife's 2008 RAV4 Limited v6 - replaced with a Johnson Controls WalMart battery, in 2015.

a) My 2000 4Runner SR5 v6 - purchased from original senior owner, 2 years ago.
- my guess, battery is a Dealer replacement / as SUV is now 17 years old
- who knows, unless Japan battery was manufactured before my T4R build date
I didn't realize that Panasonic made auto batteries. That's interesting!

·
Registered
8 Posts
If you live in FL, you are lucky to get 3 years out of a battery, many times mine have died at 2 years. Heat kills them...

1 - 20 of 28 Posts