Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
'05 Limited, 88k miles, i4, original owner, fanatically maintained. Wife's car, she drives to part-time work 3 days a week, other local errands otherwise, so, light use, maybe 5-6,000 miles/year.

OEM battery was replaced 10-2017 (Autozone Gold, 700 CCA). Alternator was replaced 06-2018 (off-brand re-manufactured unit, was put in by the shop [trusted place] before I could specify a Denso replacement)

This just happened today. Cold start, driving less than a mile, battery light flickered on as I accelerated, went off when I let off the gas. Did this twice. We were on our way past an Advance Auto Parts so I stopped in and had everything checked. Results are below.

Autozone guy said remove & bring in the battery, it's under warranty, they'll test & try to charge it to boost the CCA, possibly replace if needed. Just wondering what might be causing the drain. Only thing I could think of was the USB phone charger in the car, but, apparently they don't draw much.

Thoughts?

TIA!

·
Registered
290 Posts
Very possibly the alternator. When the brushes wear near the limit they can cut in and out. Sometimes at this stage it is even tough to test them and get a definite failure result. If it is not the battery, no bad connections or grounding problems, your alternator might be showing signs of failing.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, that's what I'm thinking. What are good alternators these days? I'm looking at Denso 104210-3780, 9664219-378 and also AC Delco, heard good things about those...

·
Registered
235 Posts
Definitely sounds like the onset of a cheaply made alternator failing. I'd go on Rock Auto and get a nice new Denso.

Bosch is another option but the Japanese make a better product than the Germans, imo.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6000 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wellp the shop replaced the bad alternator on my wife's '05 Limited, including labor, for free since it was under the manufacturer's warranty. That's the good news. The bad news is they put in another Duralast, and the warranty on it is what is left of the original item's (only a few months). Figure I'll wait to see if this one croaks then get a Denso and put it in myself (does Autozone loan out the tensioner pulley tool?)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts