Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2004 Toyota Rav4 with 150K miles. I bought a new battery about a month ago, but the "check battery" light has been turning off and on periodically. It turns on at various times: when I start the car, when driving, etc. It usually turns off within a minute or so. Sometimes it'll go a day or two without turning on. I had battery and alternator tested at autozone and both are fine. I changed the terminal clamp because it was rusted, but the light still turned on. One theory is the valve cover gasket is leaking oil, and that could be causing the problem. Toyota said the alternator is slowly dying (it's about 5 years old, remanufactured). Any suggestions?

·
Super Moderator
10,128 Posts
I'd buy a voltage monitor that plugs into the 12V outlet and see if the reading corresponds to the battery light. Then decide what's the cause.

Reactions: Mr RAVera

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i'm not too mechanically inclined... what am I comparing the voltage reading to? How is this different than what autozone tests?

·
Super Moderator
10,128 Posts
You buy one of these: iSimple IS4551 USB Charger Adapter with Digital Voltage Meter Battery Monitor | eBay
and plug it into the 12V outlet. (There are cheaper ones but this one has a usb outlet and a slanted display for easier reading.)

It allows you to monitor the voltage continuously not just a one-time test.
It should read in the 14V range when the charging system is operating properly or in the 12s if not. The light should be off and on respectively.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts