Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've got an annoyance. I was replacing the bulbs in my foglights in October of 2015 and afterwards my battery light came on. I don't know what I did, but there wasn't a battery light on before I changed the bulb, but there was one after. It is the only correlation I can find. Anyway, I thought maybe it was time for a new battery anyway, so I replaced it with a brand new one. No effect. I left the battery disconnected over an entire weekend thinking the system just needed to reset, but no effect. I've since driven the car nearly 18,000 miles with this battery light on. The car starts fine. It reads normal voltage whenever I've had it tested or checked. I've taken it to AutoZone to be tested and they said the battery is fine and they can't imagine what would be the problem. If it were an alternator issue then I would think I'd be seeing some symptoms of something happening, but it starts fine in any weather. 10 degree days are no problem. 110 degree days also no problem. I can find nothing wrong with the car and I've checked all the fuses and everything I can think of. I'm about to put a piece of tape over the light or just remove the cluster and take the light out because it is annoying, but after more than a year I don't really notice it much. I'd probably notice it more if it finally turned off. Any thoughts?

·
Super Moderator
10,205 Posts
My thought? A piece of tape is easier than removing the bulb. :wink

·
Registered
3,753 Posts
Maybe the fog light bulbs are defective? Take both fog light bulbs out and see what happens. If the battery light goes away you know the bulbs are bad.

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
So I've got an annoyance. I was replacing the bulbs in my foglights in October of 2015 and afterwards my battery light came on. I don't know what I did, but there wasn't a battery light on before I changed the bulb, but there was one after. It is the only correlation I can find. Anyway, I thought maybe it was time for a new battery anyway, so I replaced it with a brand new one. No effect. I left the battery disconnected over an entire weekend thinking the system just needed to reset, but no effect. I've since driven the car nearly 18,000 miles with this battery light on. The car starts fine. It reads normal voltage whenever I've had it tested or checked. I've taken it to AutoZone to be tested and they said the battery is fine and they can't imagine what would be the problem. If it were an alternator issue then I would think I'd be seeing some symptoms of something happening, but it starts fine in any weather. 10 degree days are no problem. 110 degree days also no problem. I can find nothing wrong with the car and I've checked all the fuses and everything I can think of. I'm about to put a piece of tape over the light or just remove the cluster and take the light out because it is annoying, but after more than a year I don't really notice it much. I'd probably notice it more if it finally turned off. Any thoughts?

I agree with DL175. if the problem started AFTER changing bulbs then remove them (check for loose wires) and see if that helps.. Did autozone check the alternator and do a load test on Battery? 1 other thing to check it making sure you don't have a loose ground from the battery.

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
Check that the connector on the battery sensor is secure.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the suggestions, guys. I haven't checked the terminal connections, but they seem to have been fine all the times I've disconnected them while hoping for the darn thing to just reset.

I did think about maybe it being the bulbs, but that doesn't seem to be it. I have even changed the bulbs since then to see if that was the problem and the light remains. Maybe something got pulled loose down there or something. I'll have to crawl under when it is warmer and I don't have slush dripping on my face and give it another look in the Spring. Kind of an odd thing to have happen, but at least I know it has something to do with the fog light. To not have an issue before and then suddenly have one after is just weird...

·
Registered
1 Posts
We had the same problem on our 2001 RAV. Replaced the 5 amp fuse under the bonnet and it went off however it has blown the fuse since so I've gotta do some more investigating.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts