Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a owner a 2018 Rav4 Hybride Se. Canadian Winters get Cold .I Travel and leave for weeks on end and have had a starter battery die in my other car when at park n fly . I got used to useing a 40 watt solar panel left in dash to keep battery charged . Just wondering if there is any need or is this method necessary with my New to me Rav4 hybrid ??

·
Super Moderator
11,045 Posts
Better safe than sorry.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks RTexasF,
That in a nutshell is the moral of the covid-19 story. STAY SAFE.
My concern was that due to all the high voltage connections from the auxillary going to the traction battery , adding a Solar panel could compromise the high voltage circuit.
AB

·
Registered
561 Posts
So you are concerned about the 12 volt auxiliary battery. Rather than add all of the complexity of solar panels, charge controllers, some way to isolate the HV battery, why not get a lithium ion jump pack to get the car into ready if your 12 volt aux battery is flat. The 12 volt aux battery simply starts all of the car's electronics so it does not take much amperage to get the car into ready mode.

Here's a good jump pack. If you buy one make sure you get it from Anti Gravity, there are counterfeit ones on Amazon.

MICRO-START Jump-Starter Kits – Antigravity Batteries

Thanks RTexasF,
That in a nutshell is the moral of the covid-19 story. STAY SAFE.
My concern was that due to all the high voltage connections from the auxillary going to the traction battery , adding a Solar panel could compromise the high voltage circuit.
AB

1 - 4 of 4 Posts