Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone used a battery trickle charger/minder with the RAV4 Hybrid (for the auxiliary 12v battery of course)? Any recommendations or issues or things to watch out for?

Thanks!

·
Registered
420 Posts
It's not really needed the primary function of the aux 12V battery is to engage the traction battery. The aux 12V battery doesn't have much load at all. (Hence it's tiny capacity)

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Its not really called for unless you plan to leave the car sitting for 6 weeks or more. Once the 12v is more than 3 years old it might be a better idea.

The 12v battery is very small but doesn't need more than a couple amps to boot the systems. But given the various issues involved with loss of the 12v power its smart to be aware. For example you really can't even access the 12v if you can't open the hatch.

Any type battery tender is fine, same as any other car.

·
Registered
420 Posts
If you can't reach the trunk and 12V battery you can still open the drivers door with the little key inside the fob, then open the door, then pull the handle that opens the hood. Inside the hood there is a fuse box with a jump starter connection. I assume putting a 12V source with a few amps maybe 5A capable is enough to get the hybrid system going. You could then open the hatch and replace the battery(or let the 12V battery charge from the hybrid system).

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk

·
Registered
846 Posts
I'll be going away for about a month and live in Toronto, Canada, where the temperature will be around -10 to 5C when I'm away.

The RAV4H will be in a garage, should I just disconnect the negative terminal or is there's an easier way to help the 12V battery from going flat? Will audio settings, seat memory all disappear when the 12V battery is disconnected?

I have a Battery Tender Junior too and some smart plugs/outlet at home and can also set this up if it's better for the battery.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I run a battery tender trickle charger on my 2016 RAV4H. I have been doing this on my vehicles for over 10 years without any issues. Helps in colder weather.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts