Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hahahah! Haven't been here in a while!

Anyway, here's the recent problem I've been having with my RAV4. Once in a grand while, my RAV won't start. It'll click and everything would go dead. I though it might be the battery, but I had that checked out at a shop here, and according to them, the battery and the alternator (had them check that to be sure) is fine.

Here's the thing; to get the RAV to start again, I have to open up the hood and play with the positive terminal. I though that because it was loose, that what was causing the starting problems. I've already tried tightening it, up to the point where I might bust the bolt holding it in place, but it's still a little loose (I still can move it on the terminal, a lot of play).

Soooo, should I just change the termial? Anyone else had this weird problem happen to them? Any reletivly easy way to change the terminal? I'm getting tired of resetting my stereo and clock on my RAV every time this happens.

Thanks all!

·
Registered
10,258 Posts
Welcome back Ryo. I had this problem. But first take a look at your battery terminals. Cars are like computers, the more accessories you install, the more power hungery they become. Toyota electrical system is one of the best. But it has one problem, the battery terminals. I got some very inexpensibal battery terminals at a great price, [$12.50 a pair] and besides they look cool, I haven't had a battery problem since. Here is the bottom line:
High quality gold plated battery clamp pair. Perfect for upgrading from original factory clamps. Stamped with polarity symbols for easy identification.

Go to http://www.partsexpress.com and ask for parts #263-610

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, Mensajero! I'll have to take a look at the local shops here for something comparable for now. I think I might be able to find them (gold plated and whatnot) for about $5 a piece at Auto Zone. If not, then next payday, I'll have to ivest in the ones you mentioned.

On the subject of batteries, I need to get a replacement battery tie downs, too. Mensajero, you wouldn't happen to know exactly what one to get (height-wise). I think that might help a little too.

K

·
0 Posts
Hey there Ryo. If your battery is fine and nothing wrong with the alternator, also the connection. You might want to check your starter motor.

Clicking means the bushes might have been worn and even though you have power going into the starter motor, the bushes are not there enough to have it start.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Kidong, would that constitute to the electrical system shorting out too? Like I mentioned, when I try to start it, I hear a click, then my clock and stereo all reset. I even try to first turn the key to let the accessories turn on.

I'm in need of new terminals anyway, so I'll replace those first and see if that helps. If it still happens, then I'll see about checking the starter...anyone know roughly how much they cost (the starter itself + Installation)?

K

·
0 Posts
No, the starter motor wouldn't have cause the electrical system to reset.

I suspect it's more of an electrical problem. Doubt it's the battery terminals. Since the stereo will not reset even running on 8.2v of battery power. Neither will the clock. They require minimal current and voltage to maintain their settings.

I am truly puzzled, maybe you should check the ignition relay and see if the relay is shorted or playing up. Any chance you might have had water inside your relay box?

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Don't think so. I've done about 3 or 4 engine cleanings and it's only happened around mid December. I doubt it's due to the cold, although I have not ruled that out yet.

I found some terminals at a local shop close to here (not Auto Zone, though), built the same way as the one mensajero linked to, but they were marine grade, full brass. The clerk said that it'll be alright with automotive applications. I already installed them and it's working just fine. I'll report back if my "phantom stall" returns after this installation.

FWIW, I was able to just pull off the positve clamp without loosening the clamp at all. I'm hoping that this was the problem and nothing more severe.

·
Registered
542 Posts
yap, happened to me once couple of days after i had the a/c cleaned out and recharged.. the clamp just came of from the terminal with just a little tug!!!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts