Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
10,488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I leave my RAV4 about one too two days in the garage. When I turn the switch, the battery is kind of dead, It goes, Waaa,Waaa. Sometime I even have to push start it. When it starts, voltage is a 14.0+ and I've checked the battery and the machine says its fine, any suggestions?

·
Registered
409 Posts
Either battery on its way out, poor connection to the starter or solenoid, or something draining it.
Do you have am alarm with a battery back up?

·
Registered
9,027 Posts
When you say that you have checked the battery, does that mean that it has been load tested? I believe that you have Autozone in PR and they will test your battery at no cost. Other suppliers may do so as well.

Reactions: mensajero

·
Registered
159 Posts
How old is your battery?

·
Registered
599 Posts
If the battery passes the "toaster test" (resistance based load test) then I would look for dodgy battery lead terminals leading up to starter, or suspect a bad starter motor/solenoid contact.

·
Registered
4,069 Posts
Measure the battery current draw when the car has been off for a while. This can be done without breaking the circuit. If you break the circuit, that will mess up the clock and radio. One more reason to maintain the voltage during the test is there may be some load that draws power for a while after it goes on, but then drops down. Keeping the current flowing will give a better indication of what the car draws overnight.

Hold one meter test lead to the chassis, and one to the negative center post of the battery. Then lift the battery connector up while maintaining contact with the center post. Note the current. Put the terminal back and tighten.

Normal draw might be 100 milliamps. If you see 500 milliamps, you will know that some accessory is drawing excessive current in the car-off state. Move that load to a switched wire.

·
Registered
10,488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Found the problem. I installed new copper battery terminals. It was the Pivot Raisin, it had some years. So I removed it and its fine. But yes, I'll install one in the near future. Like always, thank you for your help. :thumbs_up:

Also, the once with stupid answers. :doh: :roll:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Glad you found the problem!

Actually, that second part was a serious comment: disconnect the battery, wait a couple of days, reconnect and try to restart. If it started fine the battery was OK and you had a drainage problem. If it didn't then the battery was bad.

·
Registered
10,488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hmmm, interesting development that can serve others.

In reality, my Interstate Battery was installed in 2010, five years ago!:surprise Why is this important? Well, when I changed the ZOOM clutch, both shifter cables, Poly Engine mounts, brake pads etc. That was two month ago, but all Ground Kit was removed. I thought that the Pivot Raizin had expired, not so. I had it checked and it was still good. So I'm reinstalling the ground kit exactly like Derek Recommends with 4 gauge wire etc. Will post when finish.

Attachments

·
Registered
599 Posts
Hmmm, interesting development that can serve others.

In reality, my Interstate Battery was installed in 2010, five years ago!:surprise Why is this important? Well, when I changed the ZOOM clutch, both shifter cables, Poly Engine mounts, brake pads etc. That was two month ago, but all Ground Kit was removed. I thought that the Pivot Raizin had expired, not so. I had it checked and it was still good. So I'm reinstalling the ground kit exactly like Derek Recommends with 4 gauge wire etc. Will post when finish.
Don't any of your stores have a toaster style battery tester? those things are fantastic for determining if a battery is failing. just be sure to give the car a good run to fully charge the battery before going in for a test, putting it across a battery that's already been drained by something else just gives you a false fail.

My little RAV's battery issue turned out to be a amplifier that had gone permanently on, the ACC on trigger went bad internally so it just sat there powered on with nothing to do, regardless of what the head unit told it to do (or if I just cut the wire off)

I was kinda hoping that blue box of capacitors was the issue, I was going to offer to pay you to send it to me for autopsy and testing.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts