Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone,

I am brand new and i have not mastered the search bar yet but i did try and find my answer before posting.

So a couple weeks ago i got into a small fender bender. It pushed my rim and tire in and i'm not exactly sure on what broke but i do know that they had to replace a few things along with my suspension.

The Problem:

I start driving and out of no where the rav starts to beep like crazy and it feels like its braking by itself then after a few short seconds it stops and continues to drive as normal. I have sent it to 3 mechanics including a local toyota dealer and they could not figure it out.

Thank you in advance!

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
Hello Everyone,
I am brand new and i have not mastered the search bar yet but i did try and find my answer before posting.
So a couple weeks ago i got into a small fender bender. It pushed my rim and tire in and i'm not exactly sure on what broke but i do know that they had to replace a few things along with my suspension.
The Problem:

I start driving and out of no where the rav starts to beep like crazy and it feels like its braking by itself then after a few short seconds it stops and continues to drive as normal. I have sent it to 3 mechanics including a local toyota dealer and they could not figure it out.

Thank you in advance!
I would start with returning your RAV to the place that "replaced a few things along with your suspension". Didn't they at least take it for a spin before giving it back to you?(and accepting the check?)

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
I start driving and out of no where the rav starts to beep like crazy and it feels like its braking by itself then after a few short seconds it stops and continues to drive as normal.
It sounds like the VSC system is activating. You can confirm this if you also see the skidding car icon appearing on the dashboard at the same time.

The VSC system uses a steering sensor to determine where the driver is turning the wheels, and a yaw sensor to determine the rotation of the car. If the car is not rotating the same direction as the driver is pointing it, the VSC will start applying the brakes at whatever wheel(s) it determines is necessary to rotate the vehicle in the desired direction.

Does your steering wheel appear to be centered when you are driving straight? If your steering was realigned, the steering sensor may now sense you have the wheel turned when you are going straight, and the VSC is attempting to correct that.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I would start with returning your RAV to the place that "replaced a few things along with your suspension". Didn't they at least take it for a spin before giving it back to you?(and accepting the check?)
Thank you for your feedback... It didn't happen right away and it did not happen often. They took it back and looked through "everything" and they could not find the problem so then it was taken to a local dealer and they could not find the problem either and suggested i drive it for 60 miles to "reset the computer"

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It sounds like the VSC system is activating. You can confirm this if you also see the skidding car icon appearing on the dashboard at the same time.

The VSC system uses a steering sensor to determine where the driver is turning the wheels, and a yaw sensor to determine the rotation of the car. If the car is not rotating the same direction as the driver is pointing it, the VSC will start applying the brakes at whatever wheel(s) it determines is necessary to rotate the vehicle in the desired direction.

Does your steering wheel appear to be centered when you are driving straight? If your steering was realigned, the steering sensor may now sense you have the wheel turned when you are going straight, and the VSC is attempting to correct that.
Thank you for your feedback! I will ask them to double check VSC system steering sensor. The steering wheel seems to be pretty centered while driving straight. Yes the steering was realigned. Thank you for that infor, let me call my mechanic and ask him to double check the sensors.

·
Super Moderator
10,218 Posts
IMO Rick is on the right track - and your RAV4 isn't. The steering angle and yaw sensors aren't quite in sync after the accident and repairs. If so I'd think you could induce the issue by swerving (slightly) left or right. I also believe there are calibration procedures for both sensors. They may have to be performed.

Reactions: LakersRav

·
Registered
8,591 Posts

It would seem that if the problem is thought to be caused by the VSC that could be verified or discarded by switching off the VSC to determine whether that stops the problem. Or pull the VSC fuse. I've never had the VSC activate even in our twisty mountain road driving, and I take the curves as fast as safely possible (ask my wife!). Also when the VSC actually does activate the VSC dash light comes on according to the owner's manual and a buzzer sounds intermittently. ???

Reactions: LakersRav

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
It would seem that if the problem is thought to be caused by the VSC that could be verified or discarded by switching off the VSC to determine whether that stops the problem. ......... Also when the VSC actually does activate the VSC dash light comes on according to the owner's manual and a buzzer sounds intermittently. ???
Turning off the VSC using the switch would be a good diagnostic tool, I believe that the switch to disable the VSC was only introduced in the 2009 and later RAV 4.3's. The OP did not complete his profile so we don't know if he has the ability to disable VSC

VSC activation is just a theory and I told the OP he could confirm this theory if he saw the dashboard warning light come on at the same time he heard the beeping sounds. He did not mention the light in his reply to my post.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
After 3 different mechanics and a dealer they finally figured out that the YAW sensor was causing the problem. I haven't driven the Rav as much as I would have liked to but it already feels great and no more beeping and stopping. I will keep you guys posted if anything changes. Thank you to everyone for the help!

·
Super Moderator
10,218 Posts
Thanks for getting back to us. So many times we never hear a conclusion.
Glad it's fixed and again Rick was right. :thumbs_up:

Reactions: Blogson

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for getting back to us. So many times we never hear a conclusion.
I've seen that a lot and i think that's very rude. Everyone goes out of the way to help them and not even a reply or a thank you.

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
Thanks Fred, I may have gotten the right system (VSC) but I suspected the wrong component, and I had a 50-50 chance.

I'm surprised that the yaw sensor would be damaged in this type of collision.

It's a possibility the problem may have been caused by the changes to the steering alignment. The steering position sensor and yaw sensor work together to detect an "out of control" vehicle, and they need to be calibrated to work together. I suppose that re-calibrating the yaw sensor could make it match the output of the steering sensor.

·
Super Moderator
10,218 Posts
Thanks Fred, I may have gotten the right system (VSC) but I suspected the wrong component, and I had a 50-50 chance.

It's a possibility the problem may have been caused by the changes to the steering alignment. The steering position sensor and yaw sensor work together to detect an "out of control" vehicle, and they need to be calibrated to work together. I suppose that re-calibrating the yaw sensor could make it match the output of the steering sensor.
Yeahbut until you mentioned the two sensors I had no clue what could be happening. And I do agree it was likely the steering sensor that was off and that they probably adjusted the yaw to agree with it so they now play together nicely. I do recall seeing the calibration procedures somewhere in my CD/DVD manual.

·
Registered
8,591 Posts

Great call again, Rick! For one who says that he doesn't even have a RAV now your detective skills and resources are especially remarkable!

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
Thanks Jim.

I looked up the VSC calibration procedure in the manual, and it says that it is required to clear the zero point calibration data, and to calibrate the yaw rate and deceleration sensor zero point, after performing a front wheel alignment.

The manual explains how to do this using the "Intelligent Tester". Perhaps this is possible in techstream as well.

If you don't have an "Intelligent Tester" you can use a "SST" ( a special service tool). In this case the SST is a short jumper wire. Jumper pins #12 and #4 of the OBDII connector 4 times or more within 8 seconds.

The OP didn't say if the mechanic re-calibrated the sensor or replaced it, but I guess if insurance is paying for it, he's just happy it's fixed.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts