Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took my 2012 RAV4 Base Model 2.4L in for 30,000 mile maint on February 8. Also had two TSB recalls taken care of: wiper motor link and rear seat belts. Ever since this visit I occasionally hear three beeps at highway speed. Its very soft, my wife kept hearing it and I finally did too. Frequency is unpredictable, but the last time we were out this past Sunday it did it about every 5 minutes over one particular 30 mile stretch. No warning lights, nothing seems to be amiss, everything running smoothly as far as I can tell. I called the dealer and inquired, they didn't know what it might be, wanted me to bring it in for inspection - I passed for now since nothing really seems wrong. Anyone ever experienced this ? Speculation what it might be ?

·
Registered
8,526 Posts
Suggest having the dealer inspect your RAV. They may have come upon this problem previously. Speculation - maybe the beeps are somehow associated with the positioning of the rear seat belts after the clips were changed during the recall work.

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
Suggest having the dealer inspect your RAV. They may have come upon this problem previously. Speculation - maybe the beeps are somehow associated with the positioning of the rear seat belts after the clips were changed during the recall work.
Just had 3 recalls done on mine. Wipers, rear seatbelts and drivers window switch. When I got home I looked it over and was impressed with the wiper recall, everything's new, but I couldn't see anything different with the rear seatbelts. I'll have to dig into the literature about it when I get a moment. No beeps though.

·
Super Moderator
10,127 Posts
Any possibility it's a low battery beep from some electronic something you left in the car?

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
You didn't say what area of the RAV the sound is coming from! That might be helpful in diagnosing the problem

Since the RAV does not have any devices that create almost inaudible beeps (at least not a stock RAV4), I will agree with Dr. Dyno's diagnosis. I believe that some electronic device has been lost in a crevice, most likely in the seats, and a button is being pushed whenever the RAV hits a bump in the road.

Does the frequency of the beeps coincide with the bumpiness of the road?

Has it stopped by itself now?

·
Super Moderator
10,127 Posts
The good news is if it is some low battery alarm it will go away on it's own. :wink

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
The device might even belong to the technician, and that is why the OP isn't noticing the loss of any of his (or his kids) devices.

The problem is, as Dr. Dyno suggested, is that once the batteries die, the noise will stop, and the OP will stop looking for the potential device.

·
Super Moderator
10,127 Posts
The device might even belong to the technician, and that is why the OP isn't noticing the loss of any of his (or his kids) devices.
Yep, same thought came to me just after I posted and left the house. Be good to pass that thought by the dealer but if the work was done 3+ months ago it's unlikely it wouldn't have died by now.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
The good news is if it is some low battery alarm it will go away on it's own. :wink
Hopefully it's not the OPs smoke detector.

:wink :wink :wink

·
Super Moderator
10,127 Posts
The OP's description sounds like our dishwasher. :roll: Maybe it's asking to be emptied. :shrug:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You didn't say what area of the RAV the sound is coming from! That might be helpful in diagnosing the problem

I think its the front seat area but it so low I can't be sure.

Since the RAV does not have any devices that create almost inaudible beeps (at least not a stock RAV4), I will agree with Dr. Dyno's diagnosis. I believe that some electronic device has been lost in a crevice, most likely in the seats, and a button is being pushed whenever the RAV hits a bump in the road.
I will take a thorough look for such things

Does the frequency of the beeps coincide with the bumpiness of the road?
No, the last time out the road was very smooth.

Has it stopped by itself now?
Well I never hear it on surface streets, ie at less than highway speed, so it may be a while before I can be sure one way or the other

1 - 11 of 11 Posts