Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, if my engine is on and I'm in park every time I close any door t beeps four times. I use the car for deliveries and it's driving me nuts. How do I disable it?

·
Registered
3,692 Posts
Get a seat belt buckle extender. When you take your seat belt off while the car is still running it tricks the car thinking you are still buckled up. This will prevent your car from making that annoying beep every time.

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,716 Posts
Okay, if my engine is on and I'm in park every time I close any door t beeps four times. I use the car for deliveries and it's driving me nuts. How do I disable it?
This is not normal behavior for the RAV4. You should only hear 2 beeps when you unlock the doors with the remote, and 1 beep when you lock them. Do you have an alarm system installed?

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
This is not normal behavior for the RAV4. You should only hear 2 beeps when you unlock the doors with the remote, and 1 beep when you lock them. Do you have an alarm system installed?
Actually I believe mine does that too.

According to their profile, they have a 2009 Limited V6.

I'm guessing it was a change made when the SmartKey system was added for the Limited's in 2009?

I have a remote starter installed (but not an alarm). If they have a remote starter installed, it could be related to that, I suppose.

They're right, it's quite annoying.

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
Is it possible we're talking different kinds of "beeps" here? If he stops, puts it in park and gets out with the engine still running, the seat belt reminder would beep. He wouldn't hear this outside the car. I have a feeling he means the horn beeps 4 times which would be annoying outside the car. This would probably be related to an alarm system, no?

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
If the OP has a smart key system, then the beeps are normal. The beeps are telling the driver that he is walking away with his engine still running.

It can also act as a warning that someone else has walked away with the key, which is a situation that could occur if you let a passenger out of your vehicle and he takes a package or your jacket which contains the key.

·
Registered
69 Posts
It does this on my 09 Limited with the smart key. If you leave the car with the key in your pocket then the car will beep to let you know the key isn't in the vehicle anymore. This could be a good warning if you are changing drivers or something. I've driven places before with my wife and then gotten out and she drives the car back home. It would be inconvenient if I kept the key when we did that.

Solution is to leave the key in the cup holder while you are driving around. No problems with beeps if you do that.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Is it possible we're talking different kinds of "beeps" here? If he stops, puts it in park and gets out with the engine still running, the seat belt reminder would beep. He wouldn't hear this outside the car. I have a feeling he means the horn beeps 4 times which would be annoying outside the car. This would probably be related to an alarm system, no?

I think my car had a remote start, but when they sold it to me they removed it since it was an aftermarket system. I have no idea what they changed when they took it off. But when I park with the engine on and get out, open a door and close a door, it beeps four times, possibly more, but I think four. So I pull up to a house with a delivery, open the back door, close it and really loudly, beep, beep, beep, beep, beep if there are 5. And then I open a side door and close it same thing. Super annoying.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It does this on my 09 Limited with the smart key. If you leave the car with the key in your pocket then the car will beep to let you know the key isn't in the vehicle anymore. This could be a good warning if you are changing drivers or something. I've driven places before with my wife and then gotten out and she drives the car back home. It would be inconvenient if I kept the key when we did that.

Solution is to leave the key in the cup holder while you are driving around. No problems with beeps if you do that.
That's an awesome way to get the car stolen, though as you can't lock the doors with the keys inside, and even if you could the key would be inside. I always hated that part, too. Like engine on I can't lock it from outside the car. I have the key, what would the problem be? You can do it on cars with remote start like my 2012 Ford Focus (unfortunately they screwed up every other aspect of the Ford, like no cruise control).

It actually doesn't happen when my wife is with me and has her key, but I was hoping there's maybe a software hack to disable it? I guess I could shut the car off every time i get out, but that's really annoying. Bad Toyota. They usually don't do dumb stuff like this.

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
Bad Toyota. They usually don't do dumb stuff like this.
What is so dumb about this?. What did you do before, when your vehicle had a key, and the beeping occurred when you opened the door with the key still in the ignition?

I think this being done by all manufacturers in any vehicle with a smart key.

The same thing happens in my Acura product, and that is why I new exactly what was occurring as soon as I discovered you had a smart key system. After that it was simply a matter of locating what I knew would be found in the owners manual.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
In my WRX for example, it only beeped when I got out and I could push the door chime button to stop it. Opening other doors and closing them didn't cause beeping, just the driver door, just once. The Rav, ALL the doors will trigger the beeps AFTER you open then close them engine on, keys in pocket. Presumably to let you know the engine's on but there should be a disable button for those of us who aren't complete morons whow never had that issue before smart keys were invented.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Doors open, like the rear it doesn't beep at all. Only after you shut it. So if that's a safety feature why doesn't the car just shut off after 10 minutes of idling?

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
The RAV4's short little beeps are nothing compared to the constant beep tone that came out of our Kia. I just unplugged the buzzer for that, was easy to do right behind the fender. What drove me to that was our year in a rental house with no garage door opener so I had to get out and close the garage door. Was loud enough early in the morning to annoy neighbors. I haven't looked to find it on the RAV as it hasn't bothered me enough to do so but I imagine you could do the same thing.

Would search through the service manual for "buzzer" or "horn". Or just listen for it with the hood open.

Alternatively that is likely something a dealer could program for you.

·
Registered
69 Posts
That's an awesome way to get the car stolen, though as you can't lock the doors with the keys inside, and even if you could the key would be inside. I always hated that part, too. Like engine on I can't lock it from outside the car. I have the key, what would the problem be? You can do it on cars with remote start like my 2012 Ford Focus (unfortunately they screwed up every other aspect of the Ford, like no cruise control).

It actually doesn't happen when my wife is with me and has her key, but I was hoping there's maybe a software hack to disable it? I guess I could shut the car off every time i get out, but that's really annoying. Bad Toyota. They usually don't do dumb stuff like this.
I'm not aware of any software hack to stop it. It is a safety feature to let you know you have left your car running and you are outside of it with the smart key. If you have a key in your pocket and you are outside of the car while it is running, then I guess it doesn't matter that there is another key in the car.

I'm not suggesting you leave the car running with the keys in it if you are walking far away from it. If you are going to be out of the car that long, then just shut it off and lock the doors. I thought you were saying you just left the car running for a second and got out and left the doors open. Guess what? If your car is running and the key is in your pocket, then the car can still be driven off. They won't be able to restart it, but that won't really matter to a joy rider anyway. So if you fear getting the car stolen if you leave the keys in it, that is not a worry. If someone is going to steal a car that is running then they are assuming there is a key in the ignition anyway, so they won't care if the key is in your pocket.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts