Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So after owning my 2016 Rav4 for a little over 2 months I have decided that the upgraded JBL audio just sucks. I thought it was just the weak bass response from the ‘subwoofer’ but I started to notice that if I turn up the volume the dash speakers start to crack. Basically the lows suck and now the highs suck.

What I want to do is keep the stock head unit but replace the stock amp, stock speakers and build a custom box to fit in the same area as the stock sub/box. I am concerned that I will lose all the bells and whistles (lane departure, pre-collision warnings, etc). I know is some other cars those little bell sounds are somehow integrated with the stock audio system and replacing them could mean losing those sounds. Since I am not replacing the head unit, it probably won’t affect those but I am putting the question out there to see if someone knows for sure.

Has anyone replaced all the stock audio components but kept the stock head unit? Did it retain all the audible warning features?

Thanks,
Jason

·
Registered
53 Posts
Very interested in answers to your questions, Homer3D.
I just got home from picking up my Rav4 from the dealership and doing exactly what you've stated here is definitely in my plans.
Please keep us posted on your upgrades.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Hello Homer, I just did the Subwoofer mod and love it, the radio sounds great.

This is my first post after I was missing for few years. I had a 2013 Rav4 and traded for a 2015 Forester XT (turbo). The Forester got totaled and I just got a 2016 Rav4 XLE.
I did tons of mods in the past to the 2013 and I just found the link, see below.

Funny because I was reading the threads I've posted in the past to guide in on doing some mods. I just did the subwoofer and the compass mirror on the 2016.

As far as the Sub, I'm using a Bose one that comes with an amp built in. It fits inside the spare tire and it sounds really good. It shakes the windows and the sound is clear.

See picture #9, it shows the sub. You can buy that Bose system at fleabay as well. There are two type of Bose subs, and one comes w/o the amp built in.

Also, I honestly think that the radio sounds OK. BTW, I played with a JBL system on a different Rav4 when I was at the stealership and I was not impressed.

Let me know if you have any questions.

http://www.rav4world.com/forums/123-4-4-general/98537-mods-mods-more-mods-rear-sensors-steps-tubes-debadged-pics-etc.html

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info. Funny, that looks like my old Mazda setup. I posted pictures here

http://www.rav4world.com/forums/2043169-post3.html

Unfortunately, that bose setup in my mazda was a joke so I did something custom. The mids/highs were fine. For the most part I think the mids/highs in the Rav4 are decent. It is only when I turn it up pretty good that the speakers in the dash start to crack.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts