Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
have what sounds like a belt chirp. 138000 miles, started out only happening after first start, then when humid or raining, now it's constant, but can only hear it at idle. Toyota dealer replaced the water pump at 94000, but no listing on the invoice of belt/pulley replacement or adjustment. I have not either. Any advice?

Thanks

·
Registered
3,692 Posts
Sounds like the serpentine belt is slipping. The belt usually last a very long time though. A belt replacement maybe required. A mechanic can check the tensioner and idler pulley to see if it is ok also.

·
Registered
8,530 Posts
Suggest spraying some water onto the underside (driving part) of the belt to determine whether the noise stops. If it does, the problem is with the belt. If not, the noise could be from a bearing in the idler pulley or alternator. Obviously one must hope that the problem isn't the coolant pump again, since it has been replaced.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the tips....I'll try the water trick. Are there posts on the forum that talk about how to replace the belt?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I took it to my local mechanic to get his input. He said that the belt has rust worked into the rubber and that's what's making the chirp. he didn't hear any bearing noises and said that the belt is showing wear.. He did suggest replacing it, but it's not an immediate concern.
Thanks for the input

·
Registered
28 Posts
Check the alternator pully. Took me a while to find the chirp. Alternator bad. Replaced it. Chirp is gone. And you van get it out by removing the radiator cover and brackets. You dont have to drain the cooling fluid or remove the radiator like the manual says.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts