Toyota RAV4 Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2 years ago, I took a "shortcut" over some railroad tracks, and peeled a wheel off the rim.:oops:

I also lost a rubber muffler mount, got a dent in the muffler, and broke a plastic tab holding the rear fender on, but otherwise seemed no worse for the wear.
Until late last week when a random motorist informed me that my wheel looked bent.
It's possible nobody bothered to say anything for 2 years, but it seems more likely it's been getting progressively worse, as my last tire rotation was done w/ an oil change at the dealer just a couple months ago.

The mechanic is telling me that the wheel hub/bearing is bent...that doesn't sound right to me.
He's also saying I need a new set of rotors and brake pads, but I hear no rubbing/squeaking, and had no problem getting the fronts turned about 10k miles ago.
He's also very expensive: $600 just for the hub replacement, and another $500 for the pads/rotors.

What risk do I take if I tell him no thanks, and go elsewhere?

I suspect it's a suspension issue, but it's hard to tell, and I don't see anything broken.
The caster/camber bolt (I think that's it; it sticks out and points straight down ~1.5 ft inboard of the wheel) does appear to be more bent on the right than the left, but he didn't say anything about that.

·
Registered
642 Posts
The caster/camber bolt (I think that's it; it sticks out and points straight down ~1.5 ft inboard of the wheel) does appear to be more bent on the right than the left, but he didn't say anything about that.
The bolt is actually the rear stabilizer bar link that connect the the anti-sway bar to the lower control arm.

You may have a bent rim. Have you tried installing the spare wheel & tire onto the corner that's supposedly bent? Have someone follows you to see if the wheel wobble persists. If not, you don't have a problem. As long as the rear stabilizer bar linkage is intact and not snapped you don't need to replace it because of the bent protruding stub.

You may want to reconsider the choice of mechanic . . . .

·
Registered
642 Posts
The rim isn't bent; both he and discount tire confirmed that.

I didn't see anything snapped, but yes, I'm disappointed in this mechanic.
If someone following you is still seeing the rear wheel wobble, then perhaps you do have a bent hub? It's also possible the alignment is out so the wheel camber/toe is looking weird? Any abnormal tire wears?

By the sound of this, the mechanic giving you the estimate is not the dealer mechanic? Maybe you could get the dealer to have a look next time you're in for another oil change?

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Not a bent wheel or wobbling hub if you don't feel vibrations.

"hub" is not a very detailed description. The knuckle? i can imagine a bent knuckle extension or broken/bent suspension component that would cause in issue. I would suspect that one of your wheels is at an exterme camber angle. That is really the only thing that someone following you would be able to visually see. Pciture?

Can you identify the suspect part in question?

What were you doing that required you to "jump the track". Cop chase?

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Not a bent wheel or wobbling hub if you don't feel vibrations.

"hub" is not a very detailed description. The knuckle? i can imagine a bent knuckle extension or broken/bent suspension component that would cause in issue. I would suspect that one of your wheels is at an exterme camber angle. That is really the only thing that someone following you would be able to visually see. Pciture?

Can you identify the suspect part in question?

What were you doing that required you to "jump the track". Cop chase?
one thing your diagram does not show is the axle...i have had a bent axle that did not vibrate or shake or do anything to give it away to being bent...in fact it was a friend driving behind me that told me about it...a tire with bad camber would not wobble and a broken or damaged suspension part would most likely make plenty of noise...and "hub" would be the part that the axle goes into that the wheel bolts to....plenty of videos on youtube showing bent axles in motion....

https://youtu.be/L3VMjJj5Kws

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.