• Nokian WRG3

Votes: 1 11.1%
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,

I've done a ton of research (on this board and elsewhere), talked to a bunch of folks at different tire shops, and have narrowed down to a few tire choices. Help me pick one?

Live near the coast in Northern California, spend 90% of the time in city driving on dry pavement in SF. Rarely rains here. 5% of the time on sandy, gravelly light trail (beach, camping, etc), 5% of the time in light to heavy snow in the Sierras. Rarely encounter ice, at least not usually. Will probably have to put on chains in the really heavy stuff.

I won't be getting snow tires so prefer to avoid that conversation (no place to store them, and really no need), but I do want to upgrade from the crappy stock Dunlops to something more aggressive, likely in a 235/65/17 size (although would consider sizing down to 16s and getting new wheels). 2015 Rav4 XLE AWD.

Looking for:
  • Great snow performance
  • Good in a little bit of sand and on light trail
  • Reasonable road noise and mpg hit around town and on road trips
  • Bonus: aggressive look/stance
Originally got some advice on this board for ATs and considered going BFG KO2 but think that's probably way stiff/overkill given how much city driving I do.

Curious what everyone is running and whether or not it's worth trying an AT or just sticking with a great A/S. The Michelin LTX MS/AT look good but don't come in a size that will fit the Rav. Leaning Hankook Dynapro ATM.

·
Registered
627 Posts
I had Firestone Destination A/T on my FJ Cruiser and liked them a lot. Very nice compromise for both highway and off-road use. Quiet and comfortable, yet with decent grip on loose soil, mud and snow. Also, tread life seemed good (I put 30,000 miles on these tires before selling the FJ, and they still had at least 60-70% of tread left).

·
Registered
137 Posts
Spent way too much time thinking about this on my 2007 base 4cyl AWD
got Continential TrueContacts 235/65R17's
rated for M&S TireRack reviews love them, they are LRR and UTQG: 800 A B
Had them since August, haven't put them in snow yet.
Had them in deep dry sand recently and no issues. (could have been the AWD)
They aren't AT tho.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the feedback! Picked up new tires today :D

I ended up going with something that wasn't even on my short list: Michelin Premier LTX in 235/65/17. Was originally hoping to get the Michelin MS2's but they don't come in a size compatible with the Rav so was pleased to see a CUV/SUV blend of the A/S and LTX available. Bought and installed at America's Tire with a $100 rebate and they gave me $45 per tire trade in for my crappy Dunlop OEMs. The store manager goes to Tahoe all the time and said the Michelin's are his favorite all season tire in sketchy conditions and also should be perfectly fine on fire roads and camping trails.

The Premier's look awesome on the Rav and I'm already impressed with dry performance. Super smooth, quiet, and nice bite in turns - so much better than OEM. Will update with snow report once I have a chance to drive in snowy conditions.

·
Registered
37 Posts
i had Michelin on ms2 ( radial x bs's tires same as ms2) on my nissan frontier.. very nice.. and good grip on the trail roads near my cabin.

·
Registered
24 Posts
From that list, I've only ever had experience with the GT grabbers. Good in the wet, great in the dry, and actually decent in the snow. Price was right too.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts