Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
An article in the Wall Street Journal today list the crossovers RAV4 as one of the best cars to buy for a teen.

Gee....... don't I feel a lot younger all the sudden! :D

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
Wayne wrote:
OCInsomniac wrote:
Yeah - if you buy one, you're not a true RAV4 enthusiast .......
OC Hey, Least you saved me from having to say it.. *joking* [/quote] Right, dude, I think I'm gonna huurrrllll!!! [url]http://shsd.k12.ar.us/SHHS/CREATORS/Creat01/Chistophers Web page stuff/My Favorite Things/waynes_world.jpg

·
Registered
25 Posts
The G Man said:
I would not buy a V6 RAV for my teenager, way too much power for them to handle.
I am going to make my daughter drive my 87 Ford Bronco for a while before she gets to be anything but a passenger in the RAV4 V6. I have been informed that I am mean, uncaring, and primeval. Like I haven't heard that before! lol

·
Registered
4,670 Posts
primevalpapa said:
I am going to make my daughter drive my 87 Ford Bronco for a while before she gets to be anything but a passenger in the RAV4 V6. I have been informed that I am mean, uncaring, and primeval. Like I haven't heard that before! lol
LOL, thats what I plan to do when my son start driving in a few years. Buy him the biggest and safest car I can afford and no more than 150 HP.

C

·
0 Posts
My daughter just turned 16, and there is no way I want her to feel the "punch" of the V6 Limited that I have ordered.... :shock:

A

·
0 Posts
Im my workplace so far i have seen 10 RAV4 2006 model in parking lot. I noticed that 6 0f them are SPORT V6 model and most of the owners age is 50+ age..
And remaining 4 of them are V4 LTD or V4 base and owners age is 30-.

I too noticed in the street, V4 base or ltd drivers age are less than 30 ...

·
Banned
2,669 Posts
"Im my workplace so far i have seen 10 RAV4 2006 model in parking lot. I noticed that 6 0f them are SPORT V6 model and most of the owners age is 50+ age..
And remaining 4 of them are V4 LTD or V4 base and owners age is 30-.

I too noticed in the street, V4 base or ltd drivers age are less than 30 ..."

Interesting point.
Toyota developed the scion brand to atract young buyers as toyota owners averaged more than 50 years at some point.
Toyota is working hard on this issue, they had recently a discount for college students/graduates.
Time for another poll?

·
Registered
656 Posts
Buy the cheapest car you can get for new drivers and definitely nothing more then a 4 cyl. My daughter promptly totaled her first car out a few months after getting it. I then got her a 98 Kia Sportage which she scrapped up pretty good also and has now been passed onto my 16 year old son. 16 is just to early to start driving for majority of teens but what can you say? I know how I was at 16. Couldn't wait to get my license and start driving.

B

·
0 Posts
TomT said:
16 is just to early to start driving for majority of teens but what can you say?
You're absolutely right. Doesn't help that the driving test is an absolute joke (at least it is here in California - I presume most states are the similar).

Problem with 16 year olds is there are 16 year olds going on 30 and 16 year olds going on 12. Whilst some will have the maturity to handle driving, many will be nowhere near it. I was definately a borderline case.

·
Registered
779 Posts
I started driving at 17, and although I have never had an accident I cringe at the sorts of things I did in my first car (a mini). Handbrake turns, jumping speedbumps, going flat out in all gears, loading seven people into the thing, getting friends to lift the car up (two big blokes could lift the back of the car up and round.....we found this funny), driving with tall passengers sticking their arms out of the car and running their hands along the ground (anyone over six foot can do this in a mini) etc etc. I think I fell into Baron's second group. Most young drivers are lucky to be alive.

And then there is getting in a car with other teens. Some of my younger friends would drive their cars without any oil (it is surprising just how far cars will go without the stuff, although it gets a little noisy), break their keys so we would have to hot wire to go anywhere and, of course, smoke weed/pot....yes while driving (not just before), and also surfing on the bonnet (teen drives, other teen stands on the hood). Crazy days.

So, in a funny kind of way it might actually be safer to get your teen a car than let them rely on their friends.

Teen girls seemed to be a lot more sensible than us lads when I was younger. Perhaps that was why Daddy would always buy them the nice, new (but small and slow) car?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts