Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I’ve got a ‘98 Rav (4dr awd M/T) and since I keep finding myself pulling lesser cars like my buddy’s trailblazer out of the mud I’m in search of a new clutch. Any recommendations for clutches that stand up to that kind of abuse and occasional towing?
Finally I’ve sifted through some old forums but has anyone dropped the transmission without also dropping the engine?

·
Registered
7 Posts
The VALEO 52365205 Kit is probably the best "upgrade" for a daily driver it comes with an AISIN pressure plate and VALEO disk. (I'll be putting this kit in this weekend)

If you're pulling a lot and want to spend a little more you could go for the Centerforce Dual Friction Clutch Kit DF900018.

I had a similar Centerforce clutch in a Tacoma and it was a bit grabby even after the break-in period, but I know that some people like that.The self balancing weight ring was also a bit loud.

The factory manual that I have says that the engine and transmission should come out as a unit dropped from the bottom. However, if possible, ill probably try to leave the engine in. I'll try to update after I've done mine.

·
Registered
7 Posts
How’d the job go? Did you end up having to drop the engine?
It ended up being a ton of work. I did not drop the engine but getting the transmission out was really tight. Unless you have a lift that you can use I would highly recommend taking the whole thing out as a unit. my engine was only really held in by one mount in the end, If I would have disconnected the wires I doubt it would have taken more than 45 more minutes to prep for full removal.

Regardless of the route you go you'll need to take off the front portion of your exhaust, sub-frame, and power steering rack. So, if you need any seals or anything I'd recommend grabbing them now.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts