Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm just curious about what the best Driving Mode is for different situations. Provide as much detail as you want. I have an XSE so I have Trail, Normal, ECO, Sport.

Snow:
Ice:
Rain:
Highway:
City:
Winding Curvy Backroads:
Anything else?

Thanks!

·
Registered
282 Posts
Snow: Trail
Ice: eco or trail
Rain: doesn’t matter
Highway: Normal and Sport
City: Eco
Back roads? Dirt.. Trail, paved sport
Heavy cross wind: Sport

icy snowy and off road turn off lane centering and power steering assist!! It in the MID screen

·
Registered
526 Posts
Curious why you all switch to Normal (or Sport) on the highway. I've covered probably 3k at 70MPH and, if I need more, I just press the accelerator a little harder. If all the ECO mode does is change the sensitivity of the accelerator, then pressing 1" in Eco rather than 1/2" in Normal should give you the same result. This thing is a rocket compared to my Prius v.

That tip about turning off lane centering and power steering assist is something I hadn't thought of. Thanks.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I drive sport all the time. It's the best if you have control over your foot. I get same mpg. I do find I can stay in ev mode only more easily when I am in sport mode.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Curious why you all switch to Normal (or Sport) on the highway. I've covered probably 3k at 70MPH and, if I need more, I just press the accelerator a little harder. If all the ECO mode does is change the sensitivity of the accelerator, then pressing 1" in Eco rather than 1/2" in Normal should give you the same result. This thing is a rocket compared to my Prius v.

That tip about turning off lane centering and power steering assist is something I hadn't thought of. Thanks.
I drive sport all the time. It's the best if you have control over your foot. I get same mpg. I do find I can stay in ev mode only more easily when I am in sport mode.
Besides throttle modulation, the steering respond/stiffness and others might change a bit as well. It's totally my personal preference - thinking if ECO won't save when going 70+ mph, why not switching it to sport mode and I can at least enjoy the redness on my cluster a bit......feeling 1+ hp right there ;-)

·
Registered
28 Posts
I'd likely use the following, irregardless of weather (since speed is more of a factor in that case):
City streets - Normal or ECO
Highway - Sport (passing), Normal or ECO (cruising)
Winding roads - Sport
Gravel or dirt - Trail

1 - 8 of 8 Posts