·
Registered
10,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is from a honda freak;

Type-R vs TRD
by PLAYA007C, 17, male
Topic: Car Racing - Street

Yesterday I'm drivin down the street going to Burger King. I'm ridin in my CRV Type-R, when this Rav-4 revs on me. Down here we don't just hook up civics, integras, ugly neons, cavaliers and big V-8's, but we do weird stuff like hook up sidekicks, rav-4's, crv's and other stuff.

Anyways I looked at the guy, nodded and revved my engine to 4 grand. The light turns green and we both take off. My custom HKS turbo is on full boost and pullin hard, but that dam Rav-4 is still right with me. I slam it into 2nd and get about half a car length........I mean, SUV length on him. He shifts into 2nd and quickly pulls on me and passes me. I couldn't lose to a Toyota!!

At 6 g's the turbo is at full boost and I ran it to 8000 rpm, hit third and floor. Why is this Rav-4 still in front of me??!! He hits 3rd and we're around 80-90 mph. The next light is red and I call on the Brembos to bring my speeding beast to a halt. Remember this road? 4 mile stretch, no cops or lights! It's on now!! I rev to 5 grand this time and dump the clutch. I take the early lead but he's coming fast. I gave him my "I didn't want to use this on you" look, and glance at the NOS switch, quick shift into 2nd and flip the switch. Instant 75 h.p. just add gas and air and I'm gone. Wait! What's this? He's still behind me tryin to draft. I slam it into 3rd, big mistake, (most powerful) and take my CRV up to about 95 hit the hazards and it was over. He won.

We pull off the road and I asked him what he had in it. He said a TRD blower with a ZEX nitrous kit, putting down about 300hp at the wheels. Then I told him what I had. We left, then on my home this turbo Geo Tracker SS revved on me, but he was having boost problems so I smoked him like blunt.

Mods- HKS front mount intercooler, 550cc RC injectors, Mugen carbon fiber intake, Mugen 3 inch stainless steel exhaust, Mugen header, ZEX 75 shotnos kit, Neuspeeed coilovers, Mugen strut tower brace, DC sports ower tie bar, 13 cross drilled slotted Brembo rotors, 18x8 Pirelli P-Zero, 18 inch Dazz Motorsports Racing Hart C-2

A

·
0 Posts
BS. i think all of this story is bullshit. i have alot of experience with hondas and especially turbo hondas. i was with my friend almost every step of the way during his turbo install from junkyard parts and eventually to proper aftermarket on his civic coupe. heres the deal, this kid doesnt know what hes talking about unless he has a CRAPLOAD of money. the b20, the motor in the CRV is a great motor for racing, but it is not equipped with the VTEC head, which is ok because VTEC is not all its cracked up to be, and it can easily be swapped in for a b20 vtec as they call them. Now for a turbo install into this car, this is very possible as i have seen many run the b20 turbo in their hatches etc, but turbo with nitrous? hahah this is pure "fast and the furious" and these kids are what ruined the import scene. take your NOS and back to the future wings and go drive off a cliff, do the world a favor. nitrous setup with a turbo is pure bs, unless you have some seirous cash. the kid doesnt even know what hes talkign about mentioning air and gas and blah blah. the only way this can work is a wet kit, because a dry kit would do a fuel cut off, and if he is seriously boosting as he claims, this would blow the engine. a wet kit is the only way and maybe a small shot. i have rarely heard of pros running both at same time, and when they do, 7 outa 10 times its programmed right at launch for microsecond, to compensate for turbo lag. this kid would need some serious motor work, eagle rods and pistons, a VERY low compression ratio, and some serious fuel/boost management. it is very possible, but his story seems to "movie" and he obviously doenst know too much about his car. i for one, dont believe him whatsoever

·
Registered
10,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, everyone has a right to his/her own opinion :roll: . But regarding the Turbo with NOS. I think I would have to correct you on this one dude. Yes, in Puerto Rico, thier are Turbo with NOS running at the track. I've haven't seen them on the street...yet :lol: .

Read these:
http://www.monito.com/wankel/drag-pr.html

A

·
0 Posts
i dunno man, it just seems to bs. plus his buddy was only making 300hp with turbo and nitrous? the money it takes to make that setup work, should put a little more than 300 down. hell the neon comes stock with 300 if you buy with the best option.

K

·
0 Posts
First thing. To Astraltx. The CRV's 2.0L can be converted to a VTEC. It is often known as the B20B. It uses the 1.6L B16C's head merging it into the CRV's block. This will create a havoc for any people who is trying to racing with it. However, as with putting a turbo into this engine, he requires forged low compression pistons. This engine is design for short term use, and nothing for long term as the CRV's piston's bore/stroke is relatively high(as it's over 1.0:1.0). Also the B20B is not something that can be easily rev to 8000rpm. Unless he's got a lot of money like what you said.

Type-R and TRD cannot be a topic at the first place.

Type-R is refer to Honda's elite car ranges, from Civic; Intergra; S2000; and NSX.

TRD is a trademark, and most of the stuff that TRD produce are crap anyway. Stock stuff with a TRD label.

He can refer to TRD vs Spoon, but nor Type-R vs TRD.

Most appropriate would be CRV Turbo vs RAV4 turbo.

·
Registered
286 Posts
mensajero said:
checho said:
A happy ending but the RAV at the end of the race don't pass the crv
Nelson, I think you should read it again.
at first I read a bit and I read the part "He's still behind me tryin to draft" at the end of the race, I don't see that he said "Why is this RAV-4 still in front of me??!! "
BTW, is a good influence tu buy your turbo kit :wink:

A

·
0 Posts
EXACTLY! i watched many of my friends build crazy setups, ls/vtec b20/vtec and they just dont last that long. good point about the 2.0 liter revving past 8000, thats a little unheard of, but it can be done. I had a friend with a GSR in a hatch (b18c-1) revving to 11K, but that didnt last long hahaha. Also good point about the type-r stuff, thats what i meant about being "fast and the furious". these kids throw the word type-r around, without ever knowing the meaning. Type-R is the elite of honda, engines built so well, and perfectly balanced, its not even funny. I know a guy who owns a 00 or 01, whatever last year ITR was produced, and hes got #271 or something, and i love riding in that car. the b20 makes great low end power, but in my honest opinon, cannot hang with the lighter and quicker revving b16 and b18. anyways this is a toyota forum, hahah. Mensejero, i give you mad props at ur turbo adventure, even though it looks as if it might be over, you still know ur shit, when few people do, and that puts you in a class of ur own as far as im concerned. BTW i had a question about the RAV engine, or whatever u swapped, how does the MAP sensor react with turbo? Usually they freak out, because it is thier job to detect positive/negative air pressure entering the intake. We used to trick them with fishtank bypass valves. hook the MAP at the end of one of these things, and it will always record perfect air pressure !

H

·
0 Posts
If the RAV4 had a 3S-GTE engine in it then it could easily be taken past 300BHP as many 3S-GTE cars in the UK run more power than that. :D

Rob

H

·
0 Posts
Yeah, i would like to get a 3S-Gte one day for the RAV.. Would freak out some other 4x4's (SUV's) then... he he.

Basically with the 3S-GTE if you get better and colder air in the engine run a de-cat and better muffer, put the Boost up to 1 BAR (any revsion of GTE can take this) then you should be hitting about 300Bhp at the fly wheel.

Rob

M

·
0 Posts
mensajero said:
I rev to 5 grand this time and dump the clutch. I take the early lead but he's coming fast. I gave him my "I didn't want to use this on you" look, and glance at the NOS switch
Wow, if my engine is in first gear, at 5 grand, I don't have time to -give him a "I didnt want to use this on you" look and glance- before I hit the redline.

Funny story, but I think the 17 year old (according to his profile) honda lover gotta stop watching paul walker and vin diesel.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts