Toyota RAV4 Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I am a new RAV4 owner. I have the 2012 base 4wd I4 model. I have intentions of moving from South Texas to Denver, Colorado in January and I was hoping to move all of my stuff in a 6x12 UHaul trailer. I was wondering which hitch would be best for this type of move? I'm not that car savvy at the moment, but I'm willing to learn!

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
So I am a new RAV4 owner. I have the 2012 base 4wd I4 model. I have intentions of moving from South Texas to Denver, Colorado in January and I was hoping to move all of my stuff in a 6x12 UHaul trailer. I was wondering which hitch would be best for this type of move? I'm not that car savvy at the moment, but I'm willing to learn!
the max your rav4 can tow is 1500 lbs...the 6x12 uhaul trailer weighs about 1800 lbs empty...your rav should not pull that trailer empty much less with anything in it...sorry for the bad news...

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,973 Posts
Since you have the I4, your towing capacity is only 1500 lbs. I don't know that Uhaul has a trailer that would weigh in at 1500 fully loaded. If you had the V6 engine with tow prep package, the capacity would be 3500 lbs.

·
Super Moderator
11,340 Posts
Don't even mess with a trailer. You don't want your first towing experience to be with all your belongings. Too many pitfalls especially for someone admittedly not car savvy. Have your stuff shipped or rent a box truck.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Dangit. I didn't even bother to look at that when I was looking up the potential trailers I could use. I only went with what UHaul said is capable to move. Back to the drawing board. Thanks all!

·
Super Moderator
11,340 Posts
Yeah, time you pay to have a hitch installed with the wiring and an electric brake controller and then rent a trailer you'd have spent enough to have your stuff shipped. Then you get to learn how to operate everything and drive while towing including backing up a trailer. All the while I guarantee your RAV4 is overloaded to the point of safety concerns and possible breakdowns on the road or permanent transmission damage.
It's just not worth it so pack up your RAV4, ship your stuff and enjoy the trip.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Yeah, time you pay to have a hitch installed with the wiring and an electric brake controller and then rent a trailer you'd have spent enough to have your stuff shipped. Then you get to learn how to operate everything and drive while towing including backing up a trailer. All the while I guarantee your RAV4 is overloaded to the point of safety concerns and possible breakdowns on the road or permanent transmission damage.
It's just not worth it so pack up your RAV4, ship your stuff and enjoy the trip.
Too add more to the issue, let's not forget the destination is in the mountains of Colorado!

I could see that easily doing some serious transmission damage.

·
Super Moderator
11,586 Posts
And also loss of power due to the altitude. Your I4 engine won't run like it does near sea level.
South Texas, eh? I'm in Brownsville. I can't even imagine how much I'd have to spend on winter clothes moving to Colorado. I'm so used to shorts, T-shirt, and barefoot all year that it would be a tough transition for this old bird.

·
Premium Member
2,505 Posts
And also loss of power due to the altitude. Your I4 engine won't run like it does near sea level.
Once there he can enjoy the fact that the higher altitude means less aerodynamic drag to help make up for gas mileage.

South Texas, eh? I'm in Brownsville. I can't even imagine how much I'd have to spend on winter clothes moving to Colorado
:) A Colorado cowboy told me, "Once the snow starts I put on long-johns and they don't come off till spring." It's gotta be that Rocky Mountain High thing.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts