Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
644 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Best MPG result 36.4 on gas. Not hybrid.

I drove about 10 miles on not busy highway on 6th gear only without stop. Speed was about 55mph. No hills.
The MPG number slowly was going up. The maximum I got was 36.4MPG
2016 RAV4, 4WD, Regular Gas (87). Not hybrid.

Transmission on D will shift only from 1 to 4. In order to shift on 5th and 6th gear, you need to do it manually.
Cruising on 6th gear makes difference.

Anybody got higher number?

·
Registered
35 Posts
I drove for 54 min., approx 95 % of the time on the freeway. The other 5% was the stop and go traffic getting on and off the freeway. The reason the display reads 45 mph as my average speed is probably due to the stop n go traffic but I was mainly going 55 mph and in cruise control.

My total distance traveled was 40.3 miles and my average MPG: 39.8
2016 RAV4 Hybrid, AWD, Regular Gas (87).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
7,936 Posts
I drove about 10 miles on not busy highway on 6th gear only without stop. Speed was about 55mph. No hills.

Transmission on D will shift only from 1 to 4. In order to shift on 5th and 6th gear, you need to do it manually.

For comparison, I've done the same for about 15 miles in my Hybrid, display indicated 42+mpg, FWIW.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Best mpg on my non hybrid; 35 US mpg or 6.7 l / 100 km on. 80 - 90 km/h, no ac, eco on. Near hybrid numbers but you need to drive like a turtle.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Best I every got was 31.7 on a full tank, while driving about 65 mph with no wind and flat roads. For short trips it will show 99.9 mpg while going down a long hill. ;-) The only way you can get an accurate number is calculate your actual miles per gallon. My computer always shows better gas mileage that I actually get.

·
Registered
644 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I noticed mpg drops from 55 to 65mph speed. 55mph is optimal in my opinion.
55mph on gear 6 is the best.

~ 2016 Toyota RAV4 Limited Electric Blue ~

·
Registered
82 Posts
Best freeway mileage:

From San Jose, CA to Glendale, CA going about 75 mph on hwy 5, I got 28 mpg on the trip down as well as on my way back to San Jose. I'm sure if I slowed to 70 mph, I would've gotten 30 mpg but everybody would be flying by me at 80 mph!!!

Average city/hwy mileage:

I've owned my 2016 SE AWD since 7/9/16 and I'm consistently getting 25 mpg on my daily 34 miles round trip to and from work.

All calculations are manually calculated and not from the RAV's onboard computer and driven in regular mode.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Why are people posting hybrid numbers when he stated several times non hybrid? Anyway, for 10 miles I do not believe that would be enough to determine an accurate MPG to make a reasonable comparison, especially since that is just an estimate.

·
Registered
342 Posts
I noticed mpg drops from 55 to 65mph speed
Of course, because air resistance = speed^3.

55^3 = 166375
65^3 = 274625
75^3 = 421875
85^3 = 614125

There is 370% more air resistance at 85mph vs 55mph, even though it's just 55% faster.
Air resistance is by far the largest sink of energy.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I usually do not go by what the mpg is being shown in the panel. It is not accurate, it very optimistic. I manually calculate every refill. Today my best so far is 27.15mpg. If going by the panel I've gone up to 32, 36, 37 average mpg.

·
Registered
644 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
After refill the center display shows about 350 miles till next refill. But in city I hardly get 300. Usually around 250 miles per tank.

·
Registered
19 Posts
40mpg possible with 2017 RAV4

Here are a couple of short drives I did today 45-65mph for 15miles tires @32psi 70deg. I reset mpg after car warmed up and on the highway.

Some high mileage tips:

Try and stay below 62mph

“There is 370% more air resistance at 85mph vs 55mph, even though it's just 55% faster. Air resistance is by far the largest sink of energy.”

This is why we had those 55mph max speed limits 1974-1987 as the government wanted us to conserve gas.

I try and stop accelerating @2000 rpm and wait to go downhill before accelerating.
I use CC as much as possible but cancel it going up all grades and just hold the accelerator steady.
Add about 5 more pounds of recommended tire pressure.
Coast as much as possible to stops
Let the car start rolling forward after a stop before accelerating

Attachments

·
Registered
42 Posts

Thanks for sharing this. This is impressive.
Is there any indicator that shows it is in 5th or 6th gear when we do it manually ?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Isn’t it showing that you are in 6th gear in your display “S6”.
I was trained how to hypermile by the mpg world record holder and owner of the website cleanmpg when he came to San Diego years ago.
Here I am with Wayne Gerdes after our trip around San Diego in our Sonata Hybrid which we traded in on the RAV4.
There are 5 main mpg killers: extra passenger, stopping, accelerating, low tire pressure, and using the AC. So I make sure the car is warmed up at least 5 minutes before I expect good mileage and try to avoid stopping and starting like the plague. I use D ECO all the time and from a start you want to get to the highest gear as soon as possible. I do this by letting off the brake which will get the car rolling then slowly accelerate to 2000 ease off the gas which wiii force a shift and do this until you are in 6th and your desired speed. I use CC as much as possible but cancel it and hold the accelerator steady or the car will downshift and accelerate unnecessarily. I am able to get my Sienna up to 32mpg at 65mph around Memphis on level ground.

Attachments

·
Registered
291 Posts
My best ever was 35.2 mpg. Last 10 tanks 27.8 mpg with mixed driving. Every tank hand calculated from day one. No guess-O-meters here:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts